Are my fish stunted?...

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
I see this question a lot on forums from novice discus keepers. I also see fish that people proudly show off that should have never been purchased. So I thought I would show what stunted, and healthy discus look like. I pulled these pics from the internet to save time.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
These pics show discus that are stunted. Note the huge eyes in comparsion to the size of the body. Also note the football shape. These fish will never grow any more....

DSC021439.jpg

poorfish.jpg

Reactions: Bbuckley

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
Wow, that's a huge difference between stunted and un-stunted!

chEvstErino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
Golden Coast
what strain of discus is this? love how there is red on the fins on the metallic blueish-greenish body :)

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
chEvstErino;3510688; said:
what strain of discus is this? love how there is red on the fins on the metallic blueish-greenish body :)
Looks like a young male sapphire. (note the streamer on the top fin, these are mostly found on males)

FishPimpin101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Pennsylvania
chEvstErino;3510688; said:

variant of the cobalt possibly. on simplydiscus u can find breeders sell these cheap

FishPimpin101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Pennsylvania
good thread for beginners so they know how to pickout a good specimen. i also make sure the face and backtail are aligned. ive seen some discus where the backtail is below the face line. may not be a flaw to some people but for me it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store