Are my sajicas ***?

thatonegirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sajicas, cousins of convicts, and I've got a "pair" that can't produce fry. Do I have two females? One is much larger than the other, but other than that there aren't many external differences.

I chalked most of it up to having them in a non-spawn environment, but I recently moved them to a 29 gallon, just the two of them, with course sand and a few fllower pots, and as soon as they settled in, they laid eggs... which fungused within 3 days.

I thought these guys were bunny-like as cons. Can someone tell me for sure with a pic if I have more dyke fish (my luck)? My today pics suck, but I could snap a few more for dimorphism comparison. I've always been really terrible at sexing.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
males will have a blueish/purple dorsal fin whereas females have a yellow dorsal fin. :) Click here for a pic of a male/female pair. you should be able to see the difference in the dorsal fins of the 2 fish. :)

thatonegirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I look at that pic and think that my stupid t-bars need a sex-ed course. I could swear I have a pair, but they're so in-ept.

These are old pics of my "pair"

My fish are so bashful as of now because now they have flowerpots and they're so f'ing busy laying eggs I barely see them... but they're so discreet, I'm still not 100% sure who is laying the eggs.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
looks like they both will be laying eggs.. go get a male

thatonegirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
:swear:

I never see real sajicas around here. I originally bought three with a plan of taking back odd-man out. Well these two ganged up on him and so I figured they would get down to it.

:swear:

So weird, because I bought them all as the same 1.5" size, and one grew so much faster thatn the other and then I thought, hey one's bigger... fry? And they said, "uuuuh, no."

Stupid homo fish!!!! I always manage to get two of the SAME SEX EVERY FLIPPIN' TIME!!

Timpon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sydney
Not that there's anything wrong with that!!:D

Seriously though, if they are a young pair, I heard it might take them a few goes before you get fertilised eggs. One of them not totally mature?

Give them a few more go before you send to the Mardi Gras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store