Are my silver dollars Confused??

Antj88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
I have a group of 13 silver dollars, I am about 95% sure I got the sexing of them right and from what I can see with breeding behaviour I have 2 males trying to breed together? Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks in advance, Ant

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yes I do observe "mock breeding behavior", sometimes including 2 males (Metynnis cf maculatus), and sometimes involving a female in my aquarium, which has 8 silver dollars (3 species of Metynnis). Also sometimes including two males of two different species of Metynnis.
Unfortunately you did not say what kind(s) of silver dollars you have, nor showed pictures. Are you sure you have 13 of the same type of silver dollars? what genus/species? and then the genders....
Pictures can tell a lot more!

Antj88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
I am pretty sure they are all redhook silver dollars, I there's no stripes or spots on any of them, I will try and get a video later of the lot of them.

After reading another thread about silver dollars on here from a few years back I've been able to spot what is obviously a female spraying eggs tho, but everything else was eating the eggs, and any suggestions on what to do as I dont have another tank big enough to house the silver dollars.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Again, without pictures, this statement means very little to others, particularly if you want them to have an idea of what you are referring to: "I am pretty sure they are all redhook silver dollars".

The more you give (info), the more you get (similar experiences, advise, etc).

Antj88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2020
Again, without pictures, this statement means very little to others, particularly if you want them to have an idea of what you are referring to: "I am pretty sure they are all redhook silver dollars".

The more you give (info), the more you get (similar experiences, advise, etc).
I will upload some pics now for you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store