Are pictus monster fish?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Do you consider pictus cats monster fish? Why or why not? Anybody know how big they get or if they can be keep with other large fish? I don't know much about them and would appreciatte any info on them.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Nope. These guys only get about 5" max. :)

(The common one that is, they have bunch of different Pictus cats like Leiarius for example that gets huge.)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
There are several pictus cats, Pimelodus is a mid size one at around 10" and safe with anything bigge than 3", the Leiarius reaches about 24" and will eat fish sometimes to around 5", none of them are listed as agressive.

Thomas_Hung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2004
Moscow, Idaho
guppy said:
the Leiarius reaches about 24" and will eat fish sometimes to around 5.
Wow, I just looked those guys up on google...crazy, looks more like a syno than a pictus

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
piranha45 said:
regular spotted pictus only get about 6" max
Since I have an aro and two oscars, will they be in trouble when they grow up and perhaps try to eat the pictus cats? Could the pictus cats get lodged in a fishes mouth or throat? I heard that they have barbed spines to protect them, anybody ever heard of any complications from fish trying to eat another spiny barbed fish?

:help2:

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Gr8KarmaSF said:
Since I have an aro and two oscars, will they be in trouble when they grow up and perhaps try to eat the pictus cats? Could the pictus cats get lodged in a fishes mouth or throat? I heard that they have barbed spines to protect them, anybody ever heard of any complications from fish trying to eat another spiny barbed fish?

:help2:
Catfish do have spines and spikes to protect themselves from getting swallowed by larger fish. Your Oscars will get big but not big enough to actually be able to swallow a 5" fish but I would say they will pick on it until the poor thing dies.

I am sorry, I have never kept an Arowana and do not really know how it would act with a smaller catfish like that. Perhaps someone else can answer that.

I say just because of the Oscars alone I would remove the Catfish, and if your tank size permits get a different species.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
I have a pictus around 4-5" and a white line pim that is around 7". Both live with two oscars and they never pay attension to eatchother. Of course...aggresion varys from fish to fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store