Are pikes very sensitive to water quality

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
I am wondering because i was out of town for almost 2 weeks and the water change my cousin promised to do didnt happen. now my pikes eyes are cloudy and it looks like he has HITH. I have been treating him with 20% water changes, and a vitamin c supplement and he seems to be coming around eyes clearing up feeding much better and no new spots on his head in fact the old ones seem to be healing up. Is there anything else i can do besides :nutkick: my cousin.

GIjoe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Austell, Ga.
What kind of filtration do you have on the tank. IMO 2 weeks is kind of short to bring all that on . With pikes & other large fish it`s always better to over filtrate. HTH.......Keith

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Aye, if your water quality was poor or low before you let, its possible that that did it, but for the most part the pikes are pretty tough buggas. Just give it some TLC and it should be aight. Lugubris species pikes are more prone to HITH than most pikes though...so keep an eye on it.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to up my filtration and i have a new home on the way for him and his tank mates either 90 or 120 gal (depending on $$) so i didnt really want to spend more money on a filter for this tank. but i can always use the new filter on the bigger 1. i plan on buying the same 1 anyway. I have 2 magnum 350's on my other 90 so i plan to do the same on the next one.

Heck yeah my pleco is messy he just eats sleeps and s#$%s. ill keep up the water changes and vitamin supplement until then, and after more improvement instead of every other day every 3 days. I'll keep you up to date and add some pics later.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Thanks for all the help/advise. He is doing better, eyes clearing up wounds seem to be healing. I am still doing approx 20% water changes every other day, and giving the vitamin supplement. I put small feeders the tank today he got 1 or 2 but still isnt being his greedy self. keep the davise coming.

1 last question if i do the melafix don't i have to remove my carbon? I'm not sure i want to do that while im fighting water quality issues. What ya think?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Eh, I don't use carbon in any of my tankz, not many people here do. It cleans the water for a few days and then stops working really...so i don't really see the point in it. You would have to remove the carbon, but I personally believe that you don't need it. If you keep up on your water changes and keep the water quality top notch, you won't have any problems. All it really does is polish your water. Thats what filters are for.

ridether

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
M.O
Peanut like always is right….Melafix would help a lot also try a little salt.. I think you will be fine there one tough cookie..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store