Are there and algae eating fish that don't eat slime coats?

Jeffro2006

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
I'm not interested in bristlenoses, do I have any other options? Can't stay too small either as it'll have to live with 2 big polyupterus and an African knife.

Thanks for the feedback

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Flagtail can also snack on other fish's slime coats as well. Sometimes can be aggressive.

Could always try the small otocinclus. Might be small enough that it'll be left alone. If the others are well fed.

Otherwise gotta cut back on feedings, reduce light hrs, and up maintenance ( wc's and scrubbing).

Reactions: Drstrangelove

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Snails.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Otherwise gotta cut back on feedings, reduce light hrs, and up maintenance ( wc's and scrubbing).
I agree. Algae isn't a problem with proper maintenance and tank set-up. Algae is ubiquitous, but it requires more than just water to be successful to a point that it would be significant.

A persistent problem can be addressed substantially with a weak UV filter. (A strong one would be needed to kill parasites and most bacteria/viruses, but weak ones do yeoman work on algae.) Some people swear that the effect on water clarity of running one for just a few hours are startling.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Snails are definitely a good option. I like nerites and ramshorns. If you don't like snails My best algae eating fish is the Siamese Algae Eater. I don't see it bother other fish. They get around 5" but good luck finding one for sale that size. You will likely have to grow it out on your own. Depending on your poly that still might be a snack as it is still a pretty tube shaped fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store