Are there new world cyprinids?

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
So as the title states are their any species of native new world cyprinids if so what are the species can they be found in the hobby?

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
I know rainbow shiners and red shiners are sometimes found in the trade and they are native to North America. occasionally some of the other shiners are sold too

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
I know rainbow shiners and red shiners are sometimes found in the trade and they are native to North America. occasionally some of the other shiners are sold too
Oh I didn’t know shiners are cyprinids. Question do you know about any monsters species?

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Oh I didn’t know shiners are cyprinids. Question do you know about any monsters species?
Shiners are not Cyprinids anymore. They were in the Subfamily Leuciscinae (=true minnows) of the Family of Cyprinidae (=Cyprinids). But in 2016 the Leuciscinae were raised to the status of family and thereby don't belong to the Cyprinidae anmore.

Stout, C.C., Tan, M., Lemmon, A.R., Moriarty Lemmon, E. & Armbruster, J.W. (2016): Resolving Cypriniformes relationships using an anchored enrichment approach. BMC Evolutionary Biology, November 2016.

For all remaining Cyprinidae see:
Yang et al 2015: Phylogeny and Polyploidy: Resolving the Classification of Cyprinine Fishes (Teleostei: Cypriniformes)

To answer OPs Question: There are no new world cyprinidae/cyprinids anymore.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Shiners are not Cyprinids anymore. They were in the Subfamily Leuciscinae (=true minnows) of the Family of Cyprinidae (=Cyprinids). But in 2016 the Leuciscinae were raised to the status of family and thereby don't belong to the Cyprinidae anmore.

Stout, C.C., Tan, M., Lemmon, A.R., Moriarty Lemmon, E. & Armbruster, J.W. (2016): Resolving Cypriniformes relationships using an anchored enrichment approach. BMC Evolutionary Biology, November 2016.

For all remaining Cyprinidae see:
Yang et al 2015: Phylogeny and Polyploidy: Resolving the Classification of Cyprinine Fishes (Teleostei: Cypriniformes)

To answer OPs Question: There are no new world cyprinidae/cyprinids anymore.
Oh are their any fish similar too cyprinids that are native too the new world?

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Yes, there are many in the family Leuciscinae (=true minnows).
To be precise the subfamilies Leuciscinae, Phoxininae (not all), Plagopterinae and Pogonichthyinae.

Most of them are listet in this wikipedia article - only the family and subfamily are not up to date.
For more information I suggest reading the papers. I can also recommend the german version of that article. Its up to date and gives more details about the origin of the subfamilies.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Yes, there are many in the family Leuciscinae (=true minnows).
To be precise the subfamilies Leuciscinae, Phoxininae (not all), Plagopterinae and Pogonichthyinae.

Most of them are listet in this wikipedia article - only the family and subfamily are not up to date.
For more information I suggest reading the papers. I can also recommend the german version of that article. Its up to date and gives more details about the origin of the subfamilies.
Thank you for the links only problem I don’t speak german I guess I’ll use google translate and I have a question do you know whats the biggest species in that family?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store