Are they fighting or mating?

Crustman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
I don't know much about Plecos and recently introduced these two common ones to my 120 gal tank. I got them at a 2 for 1 sale at my LFS. They were going after each other. Are they fighting? Can one Pleco hurt another? I like some of the nice plecos that some of you have. Where can I get a red cactus? Can you mix several different plecos in a tank?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
judging by their size (what is it?) and the conditions they breed, i would say they are definately fighting and not breeding. Plecos can be and are very territorial creatures and it is very common that after introducing one to another for a while, that they fight for dominance and to go with it, territory. Most of the time it shall subside, if there is enough room in the tank and enough places to hide. It is very possible to keep different species of plecos together and many people including myself do so with success. Plecos can hurt each other and kill each other in different ways; rasping, stress, fighting with odontodes while slamming the sides of each against the other etc.

Not sure where you could get a red cactus (pseudo sp. L25 you mean?) but the MFK vendors may have some in stock, your lfs may be able to order them in if you ask, and i have heard www.exoticfinds.com are pretty good. Basically search around. It'll be more agressive than your current two.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Keith at somethingsphishy is a great guy, and has a great stock, but I would personally recommend Blue at exoticfind.net. The plecos I have gotten from Blue have always been top notch specimens, in great physical health.

They are definitely fighting, as they look to be far too small to be breeding size. They are a pterygoplichthys species, and appear to be 5-6" SL.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
señor_pescados_felices;648933; said:
heck yeah those guys are gumming eachother to death ever so slowly :headbang2 :headbang2
Some plecs have teeth too ;) Hypancistrus (and maybe others are capable im not sure) have reported to block in a competitor in a breeding cave and actually "eat the fish alive". I believe in the case i read, the person eventually noticed and only severe damage to the tail was outcome. Don't know if it survived it or not. It's all to get the ladies and breeding rights ;)

Crustman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
Thanks everyone. Davo, you really know about Plecos. So they are not just common Plecostomus? I like them but would also like to have some with more color. These 2 together were just $12.95

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store