ARE YOU FASTER THAN AN AUSSIE???

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Raising an Australian Shepherd is both a rewarding and a daunting task. These dogs have a VERY high intelligence level, determination, drive and boundless energy. They require a lot of exercise, both physical and mental to raise a well adjusted pup. The owner will need a lot of patience, determination, high tolerance for pain, band aids and liquid bandage. I find that good bourbon also helps. Mental stability is not a requirement and I find that being as crazy as your dog is a huge advantage. My largest pup Romeo who is a 1 year old has already achieved his AKC Intermediate Trick Dog Title and is working on his advanced title.
Anyway, a new game we have worked out that we play together requires speed, agility & concentration. It is a lot of fun for both of us but the human must be willing to endure an occasional accidental bite, puncture wounds, bleeding and pain. I meet those criteria; my wife refuses to play.
The game requires a toy (we use either a frisbee or stuffed animal), Australian Shepherd, bourbon (for pain control) and bandaids.
Rules of the game. None just be ready to lose a lot.
Play: Dog picks enticing object of his choice from his toy box (usually the frisbee) because the b@stard can manipulate it better. Dog will then place toy on your lap and let go of it. Your job is to see if you can snatch it off your leg before he can. When you win and get the frisbee you get to toss it across the house into his toy box and repeat the process. Disclaimer: the human winning does not happen very often. 99% of the time the dog can snatch it away before you can blink. He watches your eyes like a gunslinger and anticipates your every move. He will then place it back on your lap to give you another try (usually with an evil grin on his face). The real fun part are the near misses where he accidentally grabs your hand instead of the frisbee while it is in motion by you or he entirely misses as you snatch the frisbee and he bites your leg. This is where some cursing may ensue and the dog will bark at you to remind you that you were stupid enough to try to beat him. I must admit he does show quite a bit of empathy and truly feels sorry when he bites you by accident as he will lick the wound to try to help you stop the bleeding. Romeo will also try to cheer you up and distract you from the agonizing pain by doing one of his many impressions. He does:
Count Dracula...
DRACULA.jpg
Jeff Dunham's BUBBA J...

BUBBA J.jpg

Attachments

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
We Aussies are pretty fast eh? In all seriousness Aussie breeds are very hard work. They are constantly active and need to be busy, might be due to the fact that many of them have some dingo in them.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
We Aussies are pretty fast eh? In all seriousness Aussie breeds are very hard work. They are constantly active and need to be busy, might be due to the fact that many of them have some dingo in them.
Unless the Australian lines are different than the ones we have stateside, there’s no dingo in any of them. Australian shepherds originate from the basque herders in the American west in the 1800s. It’s an interesting breed given how deceitful the breeds name is and the genetic background. I have a four year old female that made me question her bloodline purity and led me down the rabbit hole.
I found this research really interesting- https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/pdf/S2211-1247(17)30456-4.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: aussieman57

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Unless the Australian lines are different than the ones we have stateside, there’s no dingo in any of them. Australian shepherds originate from the basque herders in the American west in the 1800s. It’s an interesting breed given how deceitful the breeds name is and the genetic background. I have a four year old female that made me question her bloodline purity and led me down the rabbit hole.
I found this research really interesting- https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/pdf/S2211-1247(17)30456-4.pdf
I was leaning more towards the Cattle, Red heelers ect

Reactions: aussieman57

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Yes it is a breed that was established in America. Who knows why they decided to call them Australian Shepherds. All I know is that I love these dogs. Incredibly intelligent. My 2 boys.boys.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store