Argonectes longiceps

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
P1010244.jpeg

Jesus Christ fashioned a fish and placed him in the streams which flow out of the Morichales of Venezuela. This thread is to share this fish with others because it is quite unique among the fish I’ve kept in my lifetime.
God first allowed one to come to me a quarter century ago. I was at an LFS to buy Hemiodus tetras and with them was a lone contaminant. I told John to bag him up also. He lived his several years in a 75 gallon with the school of Hemiodus, a Turushuki cat, and a pair of Crenicichla compressiceps. I really enjoyed the dichotomy of that display.
Decades later I finally discovered the name of that fish! Ivan Mikolji has created a niche for himself photographing and educating about underwater environments. He has spent much time in the Orinoco River and has published a book which I recommend, “Fishes of the Orinoco in the Wild”. On page 168 is Argonectes longiceps.
Two months ago, on October 11th, I received eight of these fish. They were thin and wearied from their journeys but otherwise healthy.

P1010179.jpeg

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
That is an absolutely awesome fish. How ‘bout a few choice pictures showing the tank and the group? I bet they would be greatly appreciated!

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
I did post a video on YouTube in order to illustrate some of the feisty spirit of the species. It has been interesting that the group has settled down since then. I'm glad I captured some of that behavior. Mostly they are social and friendly now.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Wow those are some handsome and boisterous fish, love the video!

Reactions: Chet E.

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
Parasites, one of the challenges with wild caught fish, are one good reason to quarantine. I treated all the fish with Fritz Expel-P by mixing it into their Repashy gel food. The five which would eat this food have gained weight and look healthy. One of the remaining three developed a red area in the lower left quadrant of its right eye. This fish was also very thin. When I noticed the problem starting in its eye I added the Expel-P to the frozen bloodworms as well. Over time the redness has gone away. This fish is slowly gaining weight too.
P1010272.jpeg
P1010300.jpeg

Reactions: FJB and deeda

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
After eleven weeks in quarantine, I decided it was safe to add two small Hemiodus orthonops. The newbies have blended in very well.

P1010055.jpeg

Reactions: deeda

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
Consider the behavior of a hummingbird feeding from a flower. A hummingbird will approach a flower, hover momentarily in front of it, then push its beak precisely down the neck of the flower for a drink of nectar. Often it will then retreat to a hovering position before venturing on its way. Few fish behave this way. Most will glide or drift through their environment and are almost always continually in motion. It requires lots of extra energy to hover, yet some creatures are made to do it.
One fish which shares this behavior is the juvenile Blue Blanquillo, (Malacanthus latovittatus). Seeing one of these at an LFS, I spent much time enjoying it curiously hover in the current, its body being blown this way and that while its head and eyes remained fixed in place, then off to a new location to do the same.
Argonectes longiceps displays this behavior also, thus I am want to call it a Hummingbird Tetra. Its common name is the Scissors Tetra is also nice. The action of trying to hover in place while being pushed this way and that causes the tail fin to open and close slightly appearing like a scissors.
I enjoy watching this behavior and so I like the species, but maybe it's that memory too, of the Blue Blanquillo, which I enjoy.

Reactions: FJB and deeda

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
We have a superficially similar species here in Panama, Agonostimus monticola. (the Mountain Mullet)
They live in a small stream on the island where I live 10 miles off shore of the mainland.
I use them as dither fish, for small cichlids.
IMG_0034.jpegIMG_0032.jpeg
I have seen photos of some in the 10" range, but those may not be the small variant found on the island where I live
IMG_0022.jpegIMG_1178.jpeg

Reactions: Chet E.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store