Armatus, GATF, and Dorado compatability

nicksteele7

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2017
I have a dorado around 7-8". Is it safe to mix with an Armatus of the same size and a GATF around 6"? In a 180 gal. I'm hesitant because I know GATF are fragile at that size. Thanks!

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Both armatus and gatf can be fragile at that size, while dorado can be extremely aggressive. You can do it, but be ready for the outcome of them not last very long. Also, from a growth perspective the dorago will grow the fastest, then armatus, and then gatf.

Never kept these guys, just researched them. Took a try at a gatf, but failed. Those that have been successful are experienced keepers that keep dithers, and closely monitor the tank.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
As pointed out gatf are sensitive. I think it'd be a ticking time bomb. Don't think dorado and armatus growth differ very much if at all. I'd think armatus grow faster actually. Not very often do you see someone raise their dorado to 2'. Armatus can be real aggressive too once they put some size on and gain confidence. I'm sure you know of dorados rep. It's going to come down to your specimens at the end of the day. You can give it a go. But it'll likely be a ticking time bomb.

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Dorado are known to shred their tank mates. Armatus will eventually outgrow and bully your gatf.

nicksteele7

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2017
Ok. Going to sell the dorado and keep 2 GATF with my silver aro and pbass instead.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
GATF don't school well from my understanding, but I will let others chime in.

Also, I have never had pbass or a silver aro, aren't they very fast growers? They may or may not outgrow the GATF. I would not under estimate the sensitivity of GATF at smaller sizes.

nicksteele7

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2017
Right now my arowana is about 7" and the pbass are about 6". They're faster grower than the GATF but they're pretty mellow (never seen aggression from them) and I can't see them getting big enough to eat the GATF. I could be wrong though, the more advice the better!

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'd worry about the bass outgrowing and eating them. Aros probably won't be able to catch the gatf in the case where it does outgrow the gatf. But both bass and aro will outgrow the gatf if it is the regular strand of gatf. Also pointed out is gatf get more solitary as they grow. With only two one may end up being badly beaten by the other eventually. So yes they'll swim together now but you'll notice it less as they grow.

Again my main worry now would be the bass

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
I have 2 8" GATF in 280g tank. They don't bother other tankmates much but often nagging at each other ONLY! Not Bala Shark, not Tinfoil Barb, not albino barb. Sometimes one even got scratches but quickly healed. They did since the first day they met so I know I can only keep one when they grew bigger.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
180 gallon?

180 gallon?

Nevermind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store