ARMATUS VS TATAUAIA

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Anyone ever keep two different species of payara together successfully? Armatus and tats specifically. If so, were they the same size, and how many fid you keep together?

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
If you have dithers/ feeders running around it'd be OK I think. I used to do the same but in separated tank. Armatus grew from 8" to 14" in a year but Tats only grew like 2-3 inches. Ended up losing Tats to Datnoids.

Reactions: aes1687

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have had a small group of tats as well as a single armatus at different times.They both can be aggressive toward tankmates but the armatus will become far more violent than the tat as it grows and it will grow very fast if fed well.
My last armatus was nearly two feet in length when it spooked and took the leap of death from my tank and up to that point I had to move it to it's own temporary tank due to it keeping it's previous tankmates in one cardoned off corner of the tank.If they tried to venture past a certain point they would be attacked.
In closing,unless you have an enormous tank as awesome a fish as the armatus is I would have to suggest a tat or a few over it due to it's aggressive tendencies.Some have had better results with tankmates when keeping them in massive tanks.Space and territory is the great pacifier.

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Thanks for your help, hahaha yeah i have plenty of space, even a pond, waiting for a new monster so space is not a problem. My question was did you ever keep the tat and armatus together in the same tank?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks for your help, hahaha yeah i have plenty of space, even a pond, waiting for a new monster so space is not a problem. My question was did you ever keep the tat and armatus together in the same tank?
Oh well sorry for the long post and missing your particular question but yes I did have both species together.The armatus quickly outgrew the tat and began to bully it.

Reactions: Matteus

aes1687

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2018
Indonesia - California
Oh well sorry for the long post and missing your particular question but yes I did have both species together.The armatus quickly outgrew the tat and began to bully it.
Oh no worries! Your post was really helpful because right now i am considering buying one or the other because of the vast size differences available. But since you said the armatus grows much faster maybe it may eventually catch up and out grow the tat so there may be a point in time where they will have to be put together.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I had a tat for about 2 years, he was 13” and that’s when I added a 10” armatus in there. The tat was the dominant guy and eventually (after about a year) he was blinded by the armie, let eye at first and then the night one after a few months. had to euthanize the tat :/.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store