Aro in ponds

FlammingWoodChuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
California
I have a 9in silver aro and i want to get him a pond to try and save some money instead of buying a 200g+ tank. I have been told that it is hard to keep the tamp in ponds up, is this true?? and if so how much would it cost to keep warm??? And what size pond would i need for a full grown Aro??? i would prefer an above ground pond if possible. Sorry for all the questions but if u can answer them i will be very gratefull

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Other things to consider are the fact that aros love to jump out of ponds and other outside predators could get your fish (birds, possums, raccoons, snakes, etc.). I cant keep anything big or expensive in my pond due to the birds in my area and I refuse to put a net over my pond.

sohfatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
S'pore
Heating ponds wouldnt be a problem with heavy duty pond heaters but your electricity bill will be quite high.. it would also depend on your volume of water in the pond. The larger the volume the more stable the temperature but of course the higher amount of electricity to heat it up. Another thing to note is that you would also need to add a some sort of cover to prevent leaves and debri falling in and to obviously prevent your fish from escaping. please take some pictures and show us if you do set it up. All the best!

Phtstrat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Gainesville, FL
You could buy a 300g+ stock pond and put it in your basement with stone stacked around it. It would be sort of like an above ground pond without having to worry too much about the heating.

The stock ponds run anywhere from $150-$300 and are a great bargain if you can't afford a large tank.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Hey, PhtStrat, do you know were to get a 300 gallon stock tank or you just speaking in general?

By the way, phtstrat = Fat Stratocaster?
just a thought.

Phtstrat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Gainesville, FL
softturtle said:
Hey, PhtStrat, do you know were to get a 300 gallon stock tank or you just speaking in general?

By the way, phtstrat = Fat Stratocaster?
just a thought.

I was referring to something like this.

I think that would be a pretty sweet pond don't you agree?

And yes, I've used the name Phtstrat online for a while and it does refer to a fat stratocaster.

wazza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
am interested in putting my 18in silver in 5000lt pond with the koi but dont want to loose him with jumping

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store