Arowana acting strangely

Rawb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2019
So my arowana is still very small at 4 inches in a 40 gallon tank and the past few days hes been feeding regularly and acting relatively normal until I turn the light off in the room and then he will swim into the sides of the tank like hes trying to get out, then after that happens a few times he just goes to the bottom corner of the tank and hovers just off the bottom, once the tank light is off though he comes back up mid level

20190307_225043.jpg

20190307_225724.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So my arowana is still very small at 4 inches in a 40 gallon tank and the past few days hes been feeding regularly and acting relatively normal until I turn the light off in the room and then he will swim into the sides of the tank like hes trying to get out, then after that happens a few times he just goes to the bottom corner of the tank and hovers just off the bottom, once the tank light is off though he comes back up mid level

View attachment 1363851

View attachment 1363852

That's sounds like normal behavior for a Silver Arowana at that size. If possible turn lights off the same time everyday.

Rawb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2019
That's sounds like normal behavior for a Silver Arowana at that size. If possible turn lights off the same time everyday.
Thanks! I appreciate the help, I'll pick up a timer for the main light, should I do the same with the lower led lights as well?

Reactions: tlindsey

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yep, as Thomas says many young Aros (incl. my 12" Goldenhead) just don't like big lighting changes -- and when you turn off the room light it can't see what's outside of tank so it gets scared. When the tank light is off it's easier for it to see outside the tank. Besides Thomas' suggestion you might also try just keeping a small light on in the room at night, it's what I have to do, your Aro will still sleep.

Lsey81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Pittsburgh-ish
As stated earlier some ambient light may help...i also noticed an angel fish in the one pic...make sure it isn't bullying the aro after dark...I have caught other fish taking interest in my aro's barbs when they were little guys...just a thought and good luck!

Rawb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2019
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice! I've got the lights on a timer and am keeping the nightlight deal going. The arowana is still tweaking out occasionally, I took a few videos of him in the tank to try and catch a glimpse of what I'm talking about. I'm uploading them to YouTube now, hopefully someone has the time to take a peak and help furthur. I appreciate any help and insights!
Thanks again!

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I watched your vids Robert, and I'm not really sure it's the issue but it seems like he me might be freaking out due to seeing his reflection (thinking it's another Aro) on the glass, which is easier to see apparently when the lights are off. I have a Flagtail that fights his own reflection for about half of each day lol. But yeah in the case of a young Aro that gets scared easily it's a bigger issue, as you don't want Aro to flip out and hit their head on sides or lid, can lead to drop-eye etc.

I personally can think of 2 possible solutions to try as you wish, perhaps others could add more:

-- if possible adjust ambient/outside tank lighting to reduce in-tank reflection (or maybe try putting a small night light over the tank, you can get one that comes in blue/ moonlight affect).

--try covering the sides of tank: the closer this material adheres to the tank glass/acrylic (e.g. with paint or oyama sticker), the less reflection will be on inside tank walls. If you just hang a loose piece of cloth or something over the side there will be more reflection. Plastic future board works ok (but oyama sticker is better).

To be frank I'm in a similar frustrating situation but a little different with one of my Aros (Goldenhead Xback) -- if I turn down his tank lighting too much he freaks out (and not really because of reflection issue, he just doesn't like the dark). I'm hoping he'll grow out of this, but for now I have to keep the tank lighting on 24/7 (but cover the 3/4 of the lid with some dark plastic future board to at least reduce lighting in most of the tank, leaving 1/4 of the tank lit. He sometimes swims around the covered area, but mostly stays in the lighted area, even when sleeping. My other Aro (Purple Blue Base Xback) totally doesn't mind to be in the dark.

Finally. hopefully as your Aro gets bigger and more confident lighting issues will affect it less, same as I'm hoping with mine.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My opinion is this usually happens to fish because you turn off the room lights first.

Turn the tank lights off first while the room lights are still up.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Looked at the video and personally think the Aro will be fine and will eventually grow out of that behavior. The Aro looks great keep it happy with good foods and make sure the lid is secure especially when the Aro mature. You could do what islandguy11 islandguy11 suggested but keep the main light on the timer.

Rawb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2019
Thanks for all the replies! My phone got lost and that's pretty much my only internet capable device :( but I did end up putting up some old magazine centerfolds and it seemed to have taken care of that problem quite nicely! No more wild jumping!

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store