Arowana Disease and Cure

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Droopy Eyes
Cause : Fat accumulation on the eyes due to overfeeding. The "looking down" for food and other attractions due to tank kept environment. Another known cause is feeding chunky pieces of meat. This is non fatal and it is only cosmetic. If the fish is released back to the pond, the eyes will be back to normal. Symptoms : The eye protruding and slanting downwards. Remedy : Cover all sides of the tank completely with thick dark colored paper all the way up to the top (prevent outside light from entering into the tank from the side). Position a centralised light source. Switch on the light for 12 hours a day. During feeding, try feeders that float..eg.. frogs and crickets. If feeding market prawns, try hand feeding and not letting it sink to the bottom. Cut down on diet. Cut feeders into small pieces before feeding it to the Arowana. Change the location of the tank to one of lower elevation. Remove the paper covers only after 3 months.

Tail Cutting Procedure. Transfer the fish into a "holding tank; with very low water level(about 3-6 inches above the fish) , add naesthesia
into the tank drop by drop.Watch the fish for few minutes before adding another drop, never overdose especially when administering anaesthesia!Once the fish loses consciousness, remove the fish and place it on the clean damp cloth.Use the scissors(make sure sterilized) to carefully trim of the affected tail fin by following the fan shape contour of the fin. Place the fish back into the tank and increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the tank, if necessary direct the airflow of the airstone towards the gills of the fish to help accelerate consciousness.After regaining its consciousness, let the fish rest and off all lights so as to let the fish recuperate under dim conditions.Feeding is not required if the fish shows no signs of interest in food.Change water everyday (20-30%)for 3-6 days to maintain good water quality.Salt may be added to reduce parasite attacks and help to increase recovery rate.
This is interesting.. I'll be trying out on the "covering all sides and reducing food method" to see if it really works.. I hope my efforts don't go to waste cause I won't be seeing my arowana for 3 months.....

About the anaesthesia, which should I use? If I dosed the whole tank, do I need to remove all the water after the procedure?

Dreedmachine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2012
Swedem
Something that I did with my Arrowana is that I put a few pingpong balls into the water. Making the arrowana focus on them. I got the tip from the local aquarium store.

DiegoDT

Feeder Fish
Jul 9, 2015
hello good day everyone! im new here and im new in this hobby too, i should say i have less than a year of experience in this. i started with gold fishes in a vey small 2.5 gallon aquarium and before i knew it, i have collected 5 different sized fish tank. not including the 6 small glass bowls where i put my fighter fishes. my concern is about white spots in arowana. i have just leveled up from gold fish, angel fish, tetra, coy to silver dollar then oscar and now arowana.i gave up my silver dollars and give it a friend so that i can focus on the oscar and arowana, i currently have one oscar and one arowana both are very young. the oscar i got right now is my 3rd actually. the very first one died 2 days after i brought it home the 2nd one lasted longer and could have lasted even longer if i have paid atention to it. it was killed by the newest oscar that i bought it was the white with red colorings on it and it was twice the size of the other one. i wanted to know why he/she did that when they were rubbing at each other like what they do in the petshop but the bigger albino oscar (that what i call it) beat him to death. i dont think he is hungry because he just ate the tetra that i put in th tank together with them and he didnt finish him up. s thats my first question 1:can 2 oscars coexist in one fish tank?
2. and the most important. 2 days i ago i very first arowana died bec of white spots. so i jus tbought a new one.i checked it carefully while im still in the petshop to make sre that it has no diseses or anything, i was quite satisfied at first but voila, it has the same syntoms as his predecessor, white powdery things on his body. my quaestion is how can i effectiively remove white spots on my fish.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Firstly you need to test your water to make sure everythings in order , the red on your fish sounds like it could ammonia burns.
White spot is usually a sign of stress and poor water quality you can treat it by turning your temp up a few degrees and using appropriate medication , what's your weekly water change schedule? How much water do you change in % per week .
As for the Oscars there pretty tuff fish and can be kept in pair or more if the tank is big enough , what size tank are these fish in at the moment?

DiegoDT

Feeder Fish
Jul 9, 2015
Firstly you need to test your water to make sure everythings in order , the red on your fish sounds like it could ammonia burns.
White spot is usually a sign of stress and poor water quality you can treat it by turning your temp up a few degrees and using appropriate medication , what's your weekly water change schedule? How much water do you change in % per week .
As for the Oscars there pretty tuff fish and can be kept in pair or more if the tank is big enough , what size tank are these fish in at the moment?
hello,

thanks for your reply. now i'm a bit more vigilant when it comes to my new arowana. actually i did most of your advise and im pretty sure the quality of water is good since im using commercial distilled water the same water we use for drinking and cooking. as for medication i have no idea what kind of medicine shall i give my aro in case he gets sick again. all i use is this blue liguiqd which i mix in th tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store