Arowana having difficulty breathing

EjA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Philippines
Hello, i need help, my 4-5inch juvy green arowana is having difficulty breathing. I just bought him 3 days ago and some small guppies introduced to his tank this morning came from a tank that I noticed a while ago had anchor worms (I only noticed it when I saw my arowana scratching a bit after some hours when the guppies were introduced).

He already ate 3 very small guppies. I treated his tank with approx 10ml anti anchor worm solution available here (active ingredient is dylox negu von, dosage suggested: 5 drops per gallon every 24 hours until necessary, arowana tank is 75 gals) and just around half teaspoon of salt.

His scratching has reduced, but his breathing seems a bit heavy and swimming a little less energetic than the arowana used to. Water parameters contain .009 ammonia (tank is uncycled but 15% water change is administered every other day to avoid pollution until) PH at 7.2 - 7.4

Can someone please help? Could it be due to the medication that he's having difficulty? I need to know. I already lost my previous arowana because of this. One thing I noticed was that whenever they are treated in my 75 gal tank, they are unable to breath, but does fine in a hospital tank. 75 gal tank is bare. I just did water 15% water change this morning before applying meds, should I do another 15% water change to help?

EjA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Philippines
he just regurgitated the 3 guppies and he's breathing has not improved so I did another 20% water change (i hate to do this seeing his state but I feel I don't have an option left). he swims less agile now and now im afraid to feed him as I am cautious of any slight injury internally (does anyone know how to approximate when it will be safe to feed the arowana?) I will try to give the arowana softened pellets later just in case. I also bought some fish med from a local fish store, I think it's puritan gold?? not so sure, but this was the one recommended and it's all in chinese letters so I cannot read it - if I can, I will wait until tomorrow before using it so the dylox have already worn out most of its qualities. Do wish me luck and I hope someone could offer some good advice. Thanks.

Weylin

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Inside a Bottle
Never put a fish in an uncycled tank... Add a couple of air stones..and stop doing soo many water changes in a day...
And there is no need to feed him for sometime.. He will do fine without food for 2-3 days...

Keep us updated..

EjA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Philippines
i know i should not have place him in an uncycled tank, but he is 4 inches and that is a 75 gal tank, i figured, i would be able to manage the ammonia levels during the nitrogen cycle quite easily. but i need advice that helps.

i need to find out what is causing the difficulty in breathing. i notice this every outbreak of anchor worms but only in big tanks. small tanks do well. i have my hospital tank ready now just in case it gets worst in 3 hours time

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
i think the reason the aro is having trouble breathing is because the tank is uncycled. add some airstones. reduce number of water changes a week. don't put too much/often strong medication.

the diseased feeder guppies that you use may be why you are consistently getting sick arowanas.

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
If you keep changing water you are creating chances of ph shock. If you really wanna get rid of those stuffs in there, throw in afew good bag of carbon and they should help in your case with good aeration in there as well.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
lots of airstones and circulation + underworld polyfilter + salt + raise the tank temp to 82 degrees F...

from there 20% wc bi-daily, stop feeding feeders and go with pellets instead and then keep your fingers crossed.

dont put fish in uncycled tanks and dont feed feeders. two important lessons if you care for your fish.....

EjA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Philippines
I just added airstone to help his breathing and decided not to transfer him to my hospital tank. I now know what is causing this difficulty.

They are nasty parasites building up under the gills of my arowana, weakness was caused by the outbreak of anchor worms. Reason why arowana can breathe in hospital tank was because of the oxygen.

lucy42083

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2008
Vermont
ermgravy;1658849; said:
dont put fish in uncycled tanks and dont feed feeders. two important lessons if you care for your fish.....
I agree, I think these two things are the source of all your issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store