Arowana Ich and fin rot?

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
Sometime in the last five days my arowana went from great to literally awful. like needs to be in a fishy ICU awful. Nothing in his tank changed, Ive been doing regular water changes, EXCEPT. I screwed up and put some plants in without washing them first.

annnnnnnnd Im a failure as a parent. Im well aware. these pics look like they were taken with a potato, and I'm sorry. but honestly he looks REALLY bad. Im wondering if he can even be saved, and if thats not an option, if i should let him die on his own, or like how painful is this and should i look into my humane "take him out back" options.
Thanks guys.

IMG_9222.jpg IMG_9223.jpg IMG_9224.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If it’s swimming then I’d say try and save it. Would suggest salt 1 tsp per gallon x3...6 hours apart. Then increase ur temps to 86 degrees. Increase a degree an hour. Keep like this for 2-3 weeks and should improve. Add a powerhead for aeration.

Cont with twice a week water changes at 50%. Vacuum gravel as well.

If you want to try meds then skip above and add seachem paragaurd or Kordom ich treatment. Works well.

Bad water quality can cause a lot of this. So
The water changes should help with both fin rot and reducing the ich.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Post ur water parameters as well.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I suspect the tank might not be fully cycled. What kind of test kit do you have? I recommend API freshwater master kit. Ammonia and nitrite will weaken a fish's immune system and parasites and infections will take hold. Silver arowana are actually very hardy and not prone to many diseases, so check your water. Chances are if you correct your water, a little heat and salt will fix your aro right up good as new. Avoid meds for now.

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
i do have API. ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are between 0-5. correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds cycled, no? I let it cycle naturally, but i threw in some safe start, just to be safe....

ha. I'm so funny.

Reactions: narayanang76

hibackgoldaro

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Toronto, ON
ich is easily curable...if you have a smaller quarantine tank, you can put it in there..crank the heater up to mid 80s...add salt...daily water changes...it will go away in a few weeks time...the bigger the tank..the harder it is to control and get rid of....ich parasites in the main tank will slowly die off if there are no hosts in the tank for it to feed off of...

Reactions: narayanang76

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
:)

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
i do have API. ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are between 0-5. correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds cycled, no? I let it cycle naturally, but i threw in some safe start, just to be safe....

ha. I'm so funny.
Did you cycle the tank with the arowana? What you're seeing is the consequences of fish in cycle. If the fish is strong, it may pull through. I hope it does for you. Poor thing looks bad.

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
Did you cycle the tank with the arowana? What you're seeing is the consequences of fish in cycle. If the fish is strong, it may pull through. I hope it does for you. Poor thing looks bad.
It was cycled before he was in there. I gave him some paraguard and extra heat, air and love. He looks better than ever. Back to being the cutest noodle there ever was.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store