Arowana Problem

salmanf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2017
Hi Everyone
My 60cm Silver Arowana is very aggressive and doesn't let any other large fish in peace.
I had put another 50cm Silver Arowana and it almost killed it. Then I separated the 50cm.
Now I put a 30cm Arapaima and it beat it up badly. But it doesn't do anything to the other smaller fish.
What can I do about this ?

IMG_7897.JPG

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Its quite obvious, you need to separate it from other large fish.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I don't know if that can be fixed. With some fish (and certainly more so with some species), once the fish think's the tanks is his, it won't tolerate competition.

You might be able to add a large bottom dweller (e.g., a niger or giraffe) as the aro might not regard the new fish as a competitor. I've never had to do what you're trying so, it's just speculation.

The smaller fish are simply not competitors.

I haven't owned an aro, but in general, when you keep a large fish in a tank long enough for it to think that the tank is all his, you have the potential for problems in adding new fish that are regarded as potential threats.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

salmanf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2017
TH
I haven't owned an aro, but in general, when you keep a large fish in a tank long enough for it to think that the tank is all his, you have the potential for problems in adding new fish that are regarded as potential threats.
thats exactly what I heard
People told me remove the fish and do a water change and then add the new fish. In the end add the old one which thought that was all his.
Would that work ?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
thats exactly what I heard
People told me remove the fish and do a water change and then add the new fish. In the end add the old one which thought that was all his.
Would that work ?
Given what it's already done, I'd want input from people who have tried that and had it work before I'd try again.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just as many blue spangled cichlids are aggressive against other similar shaped blue spangled cichlids (they consider each other competition) and won't tolerate them within eye-shot (especially in the confines of an aquarium) , any long bodied (eel like, similar shaped) fish like arowana would find others of its kind, and other long bodied fish to be competition, so unless your tank is the size of an olympic swimming pool (and even that may be too small in the eyes of your particular Arowana), at least from what you write it appears as though yours considers any other arowana, or Arapaima in that competitive category, and in its opinion, they need to be eliminated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store