Arowana spitting out the food after eating.

Newbkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2018
in
I have a 7-8 inch baby silver aro which was doing great from the time I got it. Was eating aggressively. From past couple of days it's spitting out the food after chewing it. I was feeding it twice daily. The food I give is dried shrimps and other dried food for aris. I suspect some water quality issues. Shall I put a dose of metronidazole IP solution in the tank??

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 7-8 inch baby silver aro which was doing great from the time I got it. Was eating aggressively. From past couple of days it's spitting out the food after chewing it. I was feeding it twice daily. The food I give is dried shrimps and other dried food for aris. I suspect some water quality issues. Shall I put a dose of metronidazole IP solution in the tank??

Test your water parameters first before any medication. Have read that Arowana sometimes will go on a hunger strike.

Newbkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2018
in
its behavior and body language appears perfectly fine . it will attack the food chew it and then it would spit it out. i think i should check the water parameters and do some water changes then

Reactions: tlindsey

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If I understand this post and prior posts, your aro has grown 3 inches in 4 and a half months (from 4.5 to 7.5 inches.) Is this correct?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If I understand this post and prior posts, your aro has grown 3 inches in 4 and a half months (from 4.5 to 7.5 inches.) Is this correct?
Sorry. What I meant was, if the water quality is an issue (e.g., nitrates), it could be impacted eating, so, I agree with tlindsey tlindsey that you should check the water before medicating.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
my asian aro does that when he is bored of the food given to him.. when food is changed he will eat like no tomorrow again....

or just continue to feed and once he realised he has no other choice.. he will eat...

now this usually happens after i feed live baby frogs... but i have seen him bored of live baby frogs and instead chose market prawn in the same feeding session

Reactions: DOOB and tlindsey

Newbkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2018
in
my asian aro does that when he is bored of the food given to him.. when food is changed he will eat like no tomorrow again....

or just continue to feed and once he realised he has no other choice.. he will eat...

now this usually happens after i feed live baby frogs... but i have seen him bored of live baby frogs and instead chose market prawn in the same feeding session
I'll not feed him for 2 days and see what happens. Water ph is @7.2 and ammonia is 0

Newbkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2018
in
What do you guys suggest about adding bottled water with added minerals to the tank or I can just add in some liquid multivatim to its food.

Newbkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2018
in
It use to fit in the small net i had but now it doesn't so I had to buy a new one. I'm planning to shift it to a different tank 5ftX3ftX2ft next month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store