arowana with neon tetras?

Something_fishy_juno

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
predators select prey size carefully. There's something called optimal foraging strategy that means animals will get food in the most profitable way, i.e., the most energy gained from prey compared to the most energy used up getting that prey. This applies equally to herbivores as well as carnivores.
Work done several decades ago on sunfish demonstrated that they will swim a small distance to catch small daphnia but a longer distance to catch bigger daphnia. Small daphnia at a far distance will be ignored if small daphnia closer by are present. Since small daphnia provide little energy, the sunfish will only expend a small amount of energy catching them. Bigger daphnia return more energy, so it's worthwhile swimming more to catch them. If less food is about, the sunfish becomes less picky, swimming further to take smaller prey. When food is abundant, the sunfish is more picky, and will swim shorter distances for smaller prey.

I'd caution against using optimal foraging theory as an excuse to mix small fish with big predators though. While I've seen it done with, for example, piranhas in big tanks with guppies, it isn't 100% reliable. In an aquarium fish will adopt learned behaviours, connecting the presence of humans with the appearance of food. That's probably going to override their optimal foraging programming.
I was reading up about this too. Very we explained.

Something_fishy_juno

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
predators select prey size carefully. There's something called optimal foraging strategy that means animals will get food in the most profitable way, i.e., the most energy gained from prey compared to the most energy used up getting that prey. This applies equally to herbivores as well as carnivores.
Work done several decades ago on sunfish demonstrated that they will swim a small distance to catch small daphnia but a longer distance to catch bigger daphnia. Small daphnia at a far distance will be ignored if small daphnia closer by are present. Since small daphnia provide little energy, the sunfish will only expend a small amount of energy catching them. Bigger daphnia return more energy, so it's worthwhile swimming more to catch them. If less food is about, the sunfish becomes less picky, swimming further to take smaller prey. When food is abundant, the sunfish is more picky, and will swim shorter distances for smaller prey.

I'd caution against using optimal foraging theory as an excuse to mix small fish with big predators though. While I've seen it done with, for example, piranhas in big tanks with guppies, it isn't 100% reliable. In an aquarium fish will adopt learned behaviours, connecting the presence of humans with the appearance of food. That's probably going to override their optimal foraging programming.
I was reading up about this too. Very we explained.
Hey bro, thanks for the heads up :)

The aro and company were getting along perfectly well, but I lost the whole tank due to Hurricane IKE. Im glad you liked the tank, I had the aro alone at first and noticed that it was freaked out at small fishes and would hide constantly at the sight of them. So I figured I would try some clown loaches and tetras, oddly enough the aro was hiding from them for a few days and would always dart away to the other end of the tank and hide when it saw the little school coming at him. At the highlight of it I had roughly 200+ tetras in the tank.

This was one of the updated vids of the tank.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
How big was the jar when you put the smaller fishes?
Hey bro, thanks for the heads up :)

The aro and company were getting along perfectly well, but I lost the whole tank due to Hurricane IKE. Im glad you liked the tank, I had the aro alone at first and noticed that it was freaked out at small fishes and would hide constantly at the sight of them. So I figured I would try some clown loaches and tetras, oddly enough the aro was hiding from them for a few days and would always dart away to the other end of the tank and hide when it saw the little school coming at him. At the highlight of it I had roughly 200+ tetras in the tank.

This was one of the updated vids of the tank.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store