Arowana's Mouth and the Mechanics of Feeding

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
good stuff - I'm gonna be sitting in front of my tank now watching the aro eat, trying to see the difference. LOL

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
"When arowana feed on items above the water surface, their feeding mode is characterised by faster, larger movements and they open their jaw much later than they do when trying to engulf their prey under the water, presumably to stop them from scooping up an enormous mouthful of water as they leave the surface."

Ive noticed that with my aro. He snaps at things above the surface.

Masa_Rov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Well, I decided to look closely after I read the article.

A.T. snaps quickly at food as I throw it in, but simply scoops it when it is floating or begins to float down. That makes sense, since only the first requires fast movements; but I am going to leave the water level very low next time I change the water in the hope of seeing the aro jump up for food! Has anyone tried that?

Masa

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
Masa_Rov said:
I saw this article on the function of the silver arowana's mouth when feeding on animals above water...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=677

Masa
It's funny you should show that article because i was watching a program on the descovery channel a while back and i was about fish and the arowana was included.
What they said about the arowana was they did pray on small birds and used the 2 whiskers they have on the lower lip as a lure by penatrating the waters surface attracting the small birds and with them having extreamly thin bodys they blended in with the dark water and were well hiden. As soon as a little bird got close they would throw there bodyin the air while grabbing the pray and crush it with it's powerful jaws then digest it's meal in the water.
Arowana some fish that's why i want one and i shall be picking up my 6" aro very soon.

dapike1979

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Guelph, Ontario
piranha45 said:
That is cool. I'd like to be studying stuff like that..
It's never to late to go back to school!!! :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store