Arowanas with gars- the truth?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was clearly misremembering lol.

This is very encouraging to me because Shark Aquarium just got some smaller trops in. I think I may try to pick one up. I love gars :)

Reactions: SBM and tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The gator Gar gar was only about 14”. Tore up my aros fins pretty bad and ripped off the lower jaw of a trop the same size killing it. I had to give it away before it Did anymore damage.
My biggest Trop I’ve had since 2005 turned almost completely black years ago. Looks more like a real dark Cuban now
Goes to show everyone that personality and fish history matter. Thank you for sharing the experience, sir Johnny.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was clearly misremembering lol.

This is very encouraging to me because Shark Aquarium just got some smaller trops in. I think I may try to pick one up. I love gars :)
Monster Aquarium? George Fear packed up a couple of years back.

You gotta to be nuts not to love gars.

Reactions: Chicxulub

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Gars+Aro is not a bad mix. I've had asian, silver, and a leichardi mix with a multitude of gars. The only problem I had was when I mixed a gator. Maybe my tank was too small? Gators get nasty. Whenever mine lurked above the aro, it tried to lunge and bite its back. I had a similar experience with Cuban, but they're a gamble. Some are docile are lambs while others are meaner than an gator gar.

Florida and Tropicals are very nice mixers. I would def try it out!

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Beauties! Love the trop.

Reactions: Chicxulub