Article on giant catfish migrations in the Amazon

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
This came across my desk the other day; though some of you might find it interesting. Some sections are technical, but you can get the major points. Very long migration routes for large catfish species, and the negative results of anthropogenic actions. Thank you chicxulub for assistance with the pictures. Hopefully I get them posted in the correct order. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
There is a hopeful note in here, though...One fish from the Upper Amazon did not show a signature of estuarine travel, suggesting that not all B. rousseauxii are migratory. Although this is a very small sample, this kind of inherent flexibility could give these fish a leg up in adapting to a more fragmented river system.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
I have an excellent book on this same subject. The title is "The Catfish Connection" 'Ecology, Migration and Conservation of Amazon Predators' by Ronaldo Barthem and Michael Goulding 1997 Colombia University Press, NY. Amazing are the distances traveled by these migratory species...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store