Asia Trip 2009 : Taiwan : Chinese Giant Salamander (Andrias davidianus) : Ultra Rare

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
Where did you see these at? a collection trip or has someone C.B. them for there own collection? Very interesting i have seen a Natgeo show on them they have some wierd feet.

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2006
DC-MD-VA
paulz01;3213438; said:
Coulda sworn i seen them on animal planet and they were called Japanese Giant Salamander.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Giant_Salamander

The Japanese giant salamander (Andrias japonicus) is endemic to Japan, where it is known as Ōsanshōuo (オオサンショウウオ/大山椒魚?). With a length of up to almost 1.5 meters (5 ft),[2] it is the second largest salamander in the world, only being surpassed by the very similar and closely related Chinese giant salamander (A. davidianus).

Tropicalfish34

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2011
Fernanadina Beach, Florida
The Japanese giant salamander (Andrias japonicus) is endemic to Japan, where it is known as Ōsanshōuo (オオサンショウウオ/大山椒魚?). With a length of up to almost 1.5 meters (5 ft),[2] it is the second largest salamander in the world, only being surpassed by the very similar and closely related Chinese giant salamander (A. davidianus).
Well I find my Smithsonian Institution book a lot more trustable then Wikipedia. The book basically says that they are the same size give or take an inch.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
I know that quite a few of these are currently hold in European zoos and even on the private sector. Thouse held privatly on Europe are the result of a captive breeding event that took place in 1994 if Im not mistaken, in a German zoo and were allowed to be traded legaly. I think they were sold by the equivalent of 1000 euros each, not bad at all for so rare animals. Some of the now adult animals are kept in groups in the hopes they will breed again. That will provide a safety net in the case something happens to wild populations. Unfornatly the same was not yet acomplished will hellbenders. Thouse are few and far between and it seems zoos are more worryed about keeping their prize specimens then they are in getting them all together in the hope of breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store