Asian upside down catfish or featherfin catfish?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Recently considered the possibility of getting an Asian upside down catfish instead of a featherfin catfish for my existing 473 liter (if I do end up going that route, I will make sure to get a male since they stay smaller than females), but am somewhat unsure, both in terms of choice and which would be a better tankmate for the existing fish.
To those who have had experience with both, which do you recommend?

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Out of safety alone, I would pick the featherfin over the upside-down. Catfish eat anything that can fit in their mouths, so when it comes to more peaceful tanks, smaller is safer.
Can't say I have any experience keeping them together. Could be fine, but don't take my word.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Catfish eat anything that can fit in their mouths
Yep. That's another reason why I will look for a male if I get the Asian upside down catfish - a 17 cm catfish can't eat as big a fish as a 25-30 cm one can.

As for eating what fits in their mouths, based on the Aquarists Across Canada image of an Asian upside down catfish, the mouth of a 17 cm individual would be similar in size to the mouth of a 13 cm pictus catfish (existing in the tank already, hasn't eaten anything yet). So while appetite for other fish does vary from catfish to catfish, I don't think I'll need to worry about that if I get a male that is not particularly inclined to eat live fish.

Still unsure what to get but there is a way to minimize risk of other fish getting eaten, at least.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If the Asian upside down catfish were to be going in with Jaguar cichlids or the likes of, then highly recommended.
If they are going in with anything smaller than 10” then no, not recommended.
Imagine an aggressive synodontis, with attitude, on a bad day.
Some keep themselves to themselves, but many just can’t help making the lives of other fish in the tank their concern and you don’t know which your getting.
Note also that the size on planetcatfish amongst others is incorrect. Males may only get to 9” (maybe a little bigger) but females could reach 12” or maybe slightly bigger still.
My feather fins (7off) are smaller (8-9”) and less boisterous than my mystus leucophasis (10-11”) but are still a few years younger.
If your looking for a “friendlier” large syno type, alberti seem to have good press and top out at 8” but others my not have had the same experience or if you want upside down then stick to the small nigroventris and get a group.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Thank you for the reply Fishman Dave. I was not aware Planet Catfish was wrong with their information, a 22+ cm male is a lot higher risk than a 17 cm one.
In that case, it'll either be the featherfin or (hadn't considered this one until now but is surprisingly similar to the Asian upside down!) an angel squeaker (unless the 55 cm size is correct, then it'll be featherfin).

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store