[ASK] Puffer Beak & Food

rtc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Indonesia
Is it only big puffer like fahaka and mbu who need to be fed hard shell food to control the beak growth ?

how about t. palembangensis and samurai puffer (t.erythronia), i keep both of them and 1 fahaka, do they need it to ?

dark_knights_99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
Philippines
all puffers have teeth/beak. they need hard shelled foods once or twice a week at least.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
The puffers beak is a specialized evolutionary tool for cracking shells. In the wild if the beak was to wear down the puffer would starve to death. So the beak grows through out there life and if not wore down some will block there mouth off. Some are worse then others but all puffers need shelled foods.

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
I tried Mussels. My Fahaka likes them a lot. However, there is so much meat for him since he is still small, and he doesn't even make it to the shell.

I can get crayfish, but they are on the other side of the city. Can I try the small crabs for sale at Petsmart?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Really? I find mussells don't have much meat in them at all.

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
Pufferpunk;3376036; said:
Really? I find mussells don't have much meat in them at all.
He eats until he is stuffed, and eats maybe 1/3rd of the meat. I guess I can also try and cut away alot of the meat so he gets to the shell.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Yeah, you can freeze & feed the meat later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store