Asking for Gender ID

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I'll have to post up a couple of pics of my largest remaining hrp from Pip's first batch. They're confusing me...its like two body types have emerged. Some are arrow shaped and some are tall/big bodied. Some have stripes, some don't (like faded spots on the side). They won't stop moving enough for me to see trailers. The father (Mongo) is a large arrow shape, pink with spots but the big bodied ones are almost bigger than he is now. First batch dates to Feb.3rd of this year. Most of the arrow shape ones are smaller than the tall bodies.

Reactions: Deadeye

Travisjaso9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2022
Suck my
View attachment 1501275
Above a male, long fin extensions, lack of melanin.
Below a female. Dark bands, shorter fins, and much like all Amatitlania, a dark colored notch in the dorsal appears
View attachment 1501276
When spawning her colors really darken, and brighten at the same time,
View attachment 1501277
When spawning the male darkens up a bit more too.
View attachment 1501278
Is this a species of convict cichlid by any chance? Just wondering it looks like the pair i had a while back

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't think we know yet, whether it is a separate species, or whether its just a location/color variant.
We need to wait until an ichthyologist with the means , and funding has done the DNA sequencing.
Hopefully it will be done before too many amateurs dilute the bloodline with hybrid mutts, and no one can find pure stock.

Reactions: Travisjaso9

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't think we know yet, whether it is a separate species, or whether its just a location/color variant.
We need to wait until an ichthyologist with the means , and funding has done the DNA sequencing.
Hopefully it will be done before too many amateurs dilute the bloodline with hybrid mutts, and no one can find pure stock.

Reactions: Travisjaso9
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store