Asking for help with my background .....

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
All my tanks are painted black, mostly black substrate too. I like the look
Likewise. I've used black EcoComplete substrate for the past 10 years. I just wanted to try something new with the light colored sand. Not sure how the jungle Valisneria is going to take to it though.....

Reactions: Hendre

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Do the fish like it? Eco complete looks kinda like dirt. It doesn't break down?
There used to be different colors of Eco Complete, at least there were 10 years ago when I last bought it. It doesn't break down. It reminds me of fine ground lava rock. Not the best substrate for my geophagus community.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
I agree with the above, black is great. It shows off the colours of the fish.. and makes everything else like plants stand out too. All my tanks have matt black backgrounds. I specify matt-black because there's nothing worse that light glare off a shiny black background.

That being said, I've seen some awesome setups with backgrounds other than black. Very dark brown goes well with black water setups and very light grey with white water rapid setups.

Not a fan of blue though for any freshwater tanks, personally..

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I agree black is a great background color for lots of reasons.
Not a fan of blue though for any freshwater tanks, personally..
I agree too. I've only seen a small handful of blue tanks I liked. A couple were from a guy when I was into salt that would paint the background in levels of blue and change how they were painted depending on the subjects of the tank. It really added a depth to the tank. He was an artist in all stuff reef related. I think he was a lawyer in real life.....lol.

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I used a white substrate and thought the background was darker. Makes the tank actually look hazy. Especially with bright lighting. Lesson learned.

20200704_100802.jpg

Reactions: robmcd
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store