Assesing UV sterilizer function

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
I just installed my UV sterilizer. Since I don't have any floating algae to clear up, I can't see it working. Do I just have to trust that it is working? And killing protozoa? All I could think of doing is counting microbes under a microscope. Any ideas? I tend to have trouble believing things without proof.

Brandon

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
how dig did u get and how big is your tank?

Carl D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Doncaster, UK.
UV's aren't really for algae removal are they?? I thought they were to kill pathogens and parasites in your tank.

Carl.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I'd say you have to trust it or:

Turn it off, administer the double dose Dupla 24 fertilizer daily until your water is green :evil_lol: , then turn on the UV and see if it clears everything up

HarleyK

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
It's more economical to simply follow the lamp replacement instructions of the manufacturer. I have my UV lamps on an annual replacement schedule just to keep things tidyand because most manufacturers recommend annual replacements. I don't know how much usage the bulbs still may have, if any. The only way to measure the lamp is with a UV radiometer that can read levels of both UVA and UVB frequencies. Within the frequency band, the center frequencies are the 1st to go. These are also the freqs that do the major portion of sterilization.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
Also remember to give the Quartz sleeve a good wipedown every couple of months or so to keep it clean. Some have a wiper built in for this. I don't think UV units are really necessary, I have mine for insurance.

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
I have mine because I am a huge nerd and, dag-nabbit, I am going to have the best pet water out there.
Brandon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store