Atabapo 1 question

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
I was at my LFS and they had 2 large red pikes around 12". They had them separated in different tanks.

I have a few questions, I have not had any pikes yet.

Could these two get along together in a large tank, or is it totally a gamble for if they will be fine together?

How would they do with large 10" geophagus altifrons?

Price was a bit steep but they might go lower. Don't really want to risk my altifrons at all. I have a group of cichla growing out that would eventually be a good tank mate.

Thanks for any advice.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
I currently have my first pike. It also is a type 1. From what I have found it is a gamble. Mine is fine with my cichla and black aro. From what I have seen with mine as long as nothing challenges them they should be fine.

Reactions: Dis

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Ok thanks. I'm leaning towards not getting it but I am definitely still torn.

I like getting fish that at least have the potential to breed, so by only getting the one would really limit this chance. :)

It's a bright red atabapo so I think that is number 1, not sure. Thanks for your input

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
They are a cool fish. Never had any as most my fish of the past would have eaten or killed them. I would recommend getting one. You could try the pair. Large tank stands a better shot. If there was more then one I would have got a few. I have seen groups. I would try it.

I ordered 6x type 2 in the past. They ended up not shipping well and I lost the group from it. Then I saw this one and said why not. It was $80 at 9"+-.

Reactions: Dis
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store