Atabapo pike minimun tank size?

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
My LFS got some pike cichlids labeled "Venezuela fire pike". I'm assuming these are atabapo pikes but I haven't been able to go in and take a look at them. If that's the case, would I would able to keep one in a 75 gallon, at least for a couple years? I haven't kept any of the lafger pike species before so not sure what to expect.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Those are atabapo. Believe they need a 6ft (180g) tank minimum even for one, for life. See what mrrobxc mrrobxc and Rocksor Rocksor say.

Reactions: Matteus

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
These are larger pikes and I agree with kno4te kno4te , a 180 or larger is ideal. A 125-150 can work but the 18” depth could prove to be a challenge keepi nag it comfortable since it can hit full size in two years or less....growing to a foot in its first year if you get it small.

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus and kno4te

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
Those are atabapo. Believe they need a 6ft (180g) tank minimum even for one, for life. See what mrrobxc mrrobxc and Rocksor Rocksor say.
These are larger pikes and I agree with kno4te kno4te , a 180 or larger is ideal. A 125-150 can work but the 18” depth could prove to be a challenge keepi nag it comfortable since it can hit full size in two years or less....growing to a foot in its first year if you get it small.
Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick responses. Guess thats a no go.

They also got "black line" pikes... any idea what those could be? I'm guessing itd be near imlossibke to know without pics.

Reactions: Matteus

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
More than likely Venezuela. One of the largest species. I’d recommend you get saxatilis complex pikes. You can find Saxatilis right now which is what I have in one of my setups. Would be perfect for your tank and you’ll be able to keep a pair. Sveni and anthurus are also available pretty consistently. Try Wetspot or Aqua Imports.

Tangled Up in Cichlids has Lepidota. Those are harder to come by these days and I would strongly recommend them. Not a lot f folks keeping them. If you get them, post a profess thread so we can all live vicariously through you.

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
More than likely Venezuela. One of the largest species. I’d recommend you get saxatilis complex pikes. You can find Saxatilis right now which is what I have in one of my setups. Would be perfect for your tank and you’ll be able to keep a pair. Sveni and anthurus are also available pretty consistently. Try Wetspot or Aqua Imports.

Tangled Up in Cichlids has Lepidota. Those are harder to come by these days and I would strongly recommend them. Not a lot f folks keeping them. If you get them, post a profess thread so we can all live vicariously through you.
I did see saxatilis online and those gold speckles all over the body make them so tempting. Really pretty fish. I was hoping one of the species at my lfs would be suitable for my setup, as I don't want to pay to ship fish, but if I have to order online I'll probably end up with saxatilis or lepidota. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to post some pics if I get my hands on them.

Also, how are they with plecos? I have a couple very small plecos (<2") in my tank and would rather not lose them if the pikes try to eat them. I used to have a belly crawler who didn't bother them but she was also pretty small which helped.

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I did see saxatilis online and those gold speckles all over the body make them so tempting. Really pretty fish. I was hoping one of the species at my lfs would be suitable for my setup, as I don't want to pay to ship fish, but if I have to order online I'll probably end up with saxatilis or lepidota. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to post some pics if I get my hands on them.

Also, how are they with plecos? I have a couple very small plecos (<2") in my tank and would rather not lose them if the pikes try to eat them. I used to have a belly crawler who didn't bother them but she was also pretty small which helped.
Should leave plecos alone.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020

hey im not really part of this convo but i was wondering about the growth rate of these fish. could it go into a 55 gallon semi aggressive cichlid tank til i upgrade to 6 foot tank by february. i have a small oscar in the tank as well as a few other cichlids so i will have to upgrade for sure. the adabapo at the store are 4” or so. is their growth rate similar to an oscar where it is suprisingly fast, or more like a bichir where its pretty gradual. the fish im most worried about the pike cohabitating with is a 3” bgk and a 2-3” starrynight cichlid the tank heavily decorated with rocks drift and caves wood so i never see bgk. i know 55 gallons always sounds really small but it looks pretty damn spacious rn.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Growth rate is just about average for a cichlid, around 1/2 inch per month, much faster than most upper jaw bichirs, but not as fast as an oscar. When a pike hates a cichlid, it will hunt it down relentlessly, ignoring anything else both dithers and other cichlids. So you won't know what will happen until you put them into the aquarium. Figure out who you will keep in case the pike starts to shred the other fish. Just because it's bigger than the pike, doesn't mean the pike can't shred it.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Growth rate is just about average for a cichlid, around 1/2 inch per month, much faster than most upper jaw bichirs, but not as fast as an oscar. When a pike hates a cichlid, it will hunt it down relentlessly, ignoring anything else both dithers and other cichlids. So you won't know what will happen until you put them into the aquarium. Figure out who you will keep in case the pike starts to shred the other fish. Just because it's bigger than the pike, doesn't mean the pike can't shred it.
do they usually take issue with tank mates?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store