Atf id need urgent help!!

.C.J.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
If you've been researching tanzaniae in fish tanks, you've been looking into big eyes. Tatf and big eyes are extremely similar fish, which led to the confusion; the big eyes match the scale counts and other less obvious diagnostic traits for tanzaniae, but are not from Tanzania so they can't be (as we currently understand it anyway) tanzaniae. It isn't impossible that they could be tanzaniae, but it is more likely that they're one of the seven unique and as yet undescribed genetic haplotypes known to exist within Hydrocynus. Which is, in laymens terms, undiscribed species or subspecies.

In other words, you were researching the right fish, you were just calling it the wrong thing.

And I have no doubt that they'd get over 12" in total length with proper care. But we don't see big eyes get over 12" on a regular basis for the same reason we don't see any other atf (to include GATF) get over 12" on a regular basis very often: they have a tendency to die. For some reason, 12-15" seems to be the max for these guys for most keepers.
How long would it probably take before my big eye gets to about 12"?

I currently have a 12-13" gatf got him at around 9-10" or so last dec 31 2017. He was thin back then but he's bulked up quite nicely now. but this guy was skittish when he was smaller which caused him to have a short snout. I also noticed that he's kinda different from the other gatfs that i see. Other gatfs ive seen have some yellowish sheen to them. Mine's just all silver :/ could it be that mine is some other variant of gatf or its just due to the tank being white? Thanks!!

IMG_7572.PNG

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
How long would it probably take before my big eye gets to about 12"?

I currently have a 12-13" gatf got him at around 9-10" or so last dec 31 2017. He was thin back then but he's bulked up quite nicely now. but this guy was skittish when he was smaller which caused him to have a short snout. I also noticed that he's kinda different from the other gatfs that i see. Other gatfs ive seen have some yellowish sheen to them. Mine's just all silver :/ could it be that mine is some other variant of gatf or its just due to the tank being white? Thanks!!

View attachment 1340889
Figure in a best case scenario of a half inch per month for the growth of any ATF. It's not unusual for them to grow more slowly, and not impossible for them to grow a little faster. Half inch is the best bet however.

Your gatf just shows white tank colors. Put him over black sand with a black background and you'll get the iridescence and red tail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store