ATF Shedding Scales ??

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I recently acquired two VATFs. Roughy 6 inches. I noticed that both has some scales missing from the lower body? Also not frequently but have seen Bright Silver scales floating in water.
I wanted to ask if this is common??

I will be honest this fish is not very easy to keep for the first time.

Any ideas about how much current is needed for these in aquarium?
Thanks

IMG_20200805_181306.jpg

IMG_20200805_181105.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently acquired two VATFs. Roughy 6 inches. I noticed that both has some scales missing from the lower body? Also not frequently but have seen Bright Silver scales floating in water.
I wanted to ask if this is common??

I will be honest this fish is not very easy to keep for the first time.

Any ideas about how much current is needed for these in aquarium?
Thanks

View attachment 1427895

View attachment 1427896
Chicxulub Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Your problem is that you have two. You need to either have just one or a group of six or more to spread around aggression (and even then you'll still end up with just one, only it'll be beat up looking instead of clean).

ATF tend to be extremely aggressive toward fish that look like them. As juveniles they'll form similarly sized schools for protection from predators, and they like to nip and slash at each other. In the wild they can get away from each other, in our glass boxes they cannot.

I have always and will continue to advocate for only one ATF per tank due to this. Some people with multi thousand gallon setups can keep groups, but most us mortals always end up with only one regardless of our intent or how many we start with. May as well pick one and have it be a gem ?‍♂

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Your problem is that you have two. You need to either have just one or a group of six or more to spread around aggression (and even then you'll still end up with just one, only it'll be beat up looking instead of clean).

ATF tend to be extremely aggressive toward fish that look like them. As juveniles they'll form similarly sized schools for protection from predators, and they like to nip and slash at each other. In the wild they can get away from each other, in our glass boxes they cannot.

I have always and will continue to advocate for only one ATF per tank due to this. Some people with multi thousand gallon setups can keep groups, but most us mortals always end up with only one regardless of our intent or how many we start with. May as well pick one and have it be a gem ?‍♂
Thanks. I have my suspicion which you confirmed and based on this I moved one to my second tank. I have 350/GPH and 450GPH flow pump in each,. Is this too much given that they are just 6inch each roughly ?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks. I have my suspicion which you confirmed and based on this I moved one to my second tank. I have 350/GPH and 450GPH flow pump in each,. Is this too much given that they are just 6inch each roughly ?
Hard to say as I'm unsure as to how large your tanks are, but that should be sufficient.

I have, over time, softened on my crashing whitewater level of flow down into a steady but smooth flow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store