ATTN: Please Post pics of your (Freshwater) Moray Eels!

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Most G. tile I've seen have been around $20 at around 5", but I bought mine at 8-9" for $35, and my lfs occasionally sells 15-16" for $50.

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
I'll try to get some more pics up by tonight.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Updates on the freshwater moray eels! Any surviving in freshwater for longer then a few months? Did anyone get better results switching to brackish or salt?

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I think generally G. tile don't last years in pure fw...most long term success is at minimum in brackish. I had one 5+ years in light brackish..and more recently had one 2 years in sw. Personally found the species more robust when in sw.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I disagree. I've kept G. tile (pictured above) in my low end brakcish tank for years (1.003-1.006).

Here is my G. polyuranodon kept in the same tank before he converted my return pump into a cuisinart. . .

View attachment 815057

One of the vendors has one of these guys atm..

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
My Echidna Rhodochilus (white-cheeked moray) was kept by the previous owner in full "freshwater" for a year, I say "freshwater" because he keep the eel in an aquarium with the water from the river in North Bekasi Indonesia where he caught it, and I don't know the salinity of that water.

Then I bought it, and now it's on my aquarium about a month, in low-end brackish water (I mixed river water with sea water to achieve that, about 1 part seawater and 3 parts river water, not tapwater).

The eel seems to be happy, it's eating my river shrimps. I am not yet able to wean it away from live food.
IMG_20171028_013359.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store