Au Sable daily updates

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com

Home sweet home on the Au Sable for the next 18 days. Just got here and unpacked. 2+ weeks all alone on the river. How can it get any better? A care package of chocolate covered homemade brownies by my wonderful Niece sure made it better :) Gonna hit the river either this evening or early in the morning. Should have daily updates of pics hopefully.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Evening was cut short by a heavy downpour that blew in pretty fast, but still had a really enjoyable day on the river. Nothing big to net today but some small trout and bass. Lost a pretty nice rainbow right at the net, had a largemouth almost to net as well which is rare for this section of river. Got checked out by a big doe that came up behind me and enjoying lots of wildlife. Back at the motel now chowing down good food and relaxing. Plan on heading to the river at daybreak tomorrow morning.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's some beautiful scenery and fish too.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!

Evening was cut short by a heavy downpour that blew in pretty fast, but still had a really enjoyable day on the river. Nothing big to net today but some small trout and bass. Lost a pretty nice rainbow right at the net, had a largemouth almost to net as well which is rare for this section of river. Got checked out by a big doe that came up behind me and enjoying lots of wildlife. Back at the motel now chowing down good food and relaxing. Plan on heading to the river at daybreak tomorrow morning.
Now that's more like it!

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Fishing was a bit tough today, with the temps I only fished early morning and then later in the evening to avoid the high water temps mid day. Good news is the heat is supposed to break after tomorrow and then the highs are only low to mid 70's so that should help the fishing after tomorrow. Did manage a decent rainbow early this morning and some smallmouth this evening. Even with a bit slow fishing how can you not call it a good day when you are surrounded by such beauty all around you.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Well I must have walked over 5 miles today. I dunno whats more sore my sciatic nerve from walking, or my bad rotator cuff from casting non stop for 6 hrs. Sucks gettin old. Was hoping to find a big smallmouth in Mio pond but they must not have got the memo. All I got were some little guys. Fishing has been rough the past two days but its much cooler tonight so water temps should drop hopefully and make things a bit better soon in the trout water. Even with the touch fishing I can't complain. The peace & solitude is just fantastic and I'm really enjoying myself in my favorite place in the world, the Au Sable. Time to ice the shoulder and get some rest to do it all over again tomorrow :)

Reactions: twentyleagues

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I know it's perspective but you look like a giant in that photo,like you are bending so your head does not touch that ceiling.Beautiful photos and I bet the trout is delicious.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I feel your pain Steve. Hobbies aren't supposed to hurt so often!

But it's sure nice to see some different trout and bass. Trout and bass are practically all I fish for, but we don't have those speckled trout. Almost all are rainbows, and maybe a rare brown. I've never seen a cutthroat or brook out here either, in 45 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store