Au Sable daily updates

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
While I didn't get anything "big" today/this evening, I did get a nice variety of fish. Managed some walleye, bass and rock bass tonight on the spey rod. One of the rock bass was actually pretty big for an ol' rocky top. Didn't measure him but I'd say he had to go a solid 10" or better. Tomorrow will be drunk tuber day here (Saturday+summer= people I avoid on the river) so probably will sleep in late, hang out and watch a movie while tying some flies, and then hit the river around 6pm after all the tubes & canoers have already went down stream. Supposed to be dipping down to 49f for a low here tonight so hopefully the trout water is under 70f tomorrow evening so I can go back after trout again.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
A very enjoyable and beautiful evening on the Au Sable tonight. A nice walleye on the fly rod is always a bonus treat. Hooked into this one right before the sun started to go down. But I think the biggest treat was what a saw this afternoon. At one point I happen to glance down and not even 6ft off to my right in less than 2 ft of water was one of the Au Sable's giants. It was a brown so big I thought at first it had to be a redhorse sucker, but it was clear as day that it was a big monster male brown trout. Easily was 24" long and had to be a good 4" wide. Was way to close to even try to put a fly in front of it so I just watched it for a full 2 minutes till it finally slowly slid out into the darker water.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
I had a feeling the drop in water temp was going to change the fishing for the best, and boy did it ever. Had the best evening/night of the trip. It was an absolutely beautiful evening on the river.

Temp was perfect with just a bit of coolness in the air, and not another person in sight all evening. Fished from 4pm-9pm catching numerous 15"-16" walleye and fat smallmouth on small/medium sized streamers. Then after dark I tied on a big 7" long articulated rainbow trout imitation streamer I tie and had a really nice big fat walleye of about 24" just slam the streamer like a freight train. By far the biggest walleye I have landed on the fly rod.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Another beautiful night on the Au Sable tonight fishing under a full moon. Nice plump rainbow trout earlier in the day then another nice sized walleye hammered the streamer right after dark. Couple of redhorse really put a bend in the spey rod. One of them was a total monster, thing was as long as my arm and had to be close to 10lbs. Never seen a redhorse come out of the water as many times as he did during the fight. Had to beach him because he wouldn't fit in my trout net. They are a fish that is so ugly they are kind'a neat lol

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Normally I have been doing most my fishing later in the evenings this trip, but woke up this morning to a really nice overcast sky and cool temps so decided to head out for a few hours this morning. Paid off well. I hiked down about a mile to one of my favorite bends in the river and started working a streamer through the deeper part of the hole and hooked up with another nice big thick walleye almost exactly like the big one I got the other night upstream.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Headed off the river a bit early tonight. All the fly casting is really starting to take its toll on my already bad shoulder (rotator cuff is shot). Still have 5 more days so gotta tryin rest up a bit tonight. Had a good evening with another walleye and trout. Lost a very nice smallmouth of about 17"-18". Fought him all the way to net and lost him at the last second. At least I got to see him.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Threw some big ol streamers tonight. Nothing big fish wise but was nice to put a bend in the fly rod again after striking out last night. My fishing buddy Mark will be here tomorrow to fish with me for two days before I head back home and we plan to fish our favorite trout stretch which we have not hit yet this year. So have some high hopes for a decent trout or two over the next 2 days. We'll see.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I didn't even realize this thread existed. That's alot of fish(to me). Is it catch and release or dinner?

You seem to be having fun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store