Aussie natives Stocking.

Tsubakai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2008
Australia
gruntaz;2914348; said:
lol salmon tails grow so goddam fast.
I haven't kept them before so it will be fun for me. My LFS has a supplier who can get in little ones but he has a regular demand for larger specimens (he said a lot of people want bigger ones to go in with adult oscars)

I'm quite excited about the tarpon. The only problem is deciding whether to just get one or to order a few more in and have a school of them. I was eventually thinking of doing a 8 foot long, 3ft deep and 3ft wide tank with a jar and a lung but now considering a school of tarpon instead of the jar. Too many options and not enough space :cry:

gruntaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2006
central coast, australia
I bought one like 2 years ago to keep temporarily in a 4 ft tank ( no idea about how fast they grew at the time). The plan was wrecked, 2 weeks later there was a beast swimming up and down the glass in my tank knocking every around lol

Piscineidiot

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
QLD Australia
Tsubakai;2914746; said:
I haven't kept them before so it will be fun for me. My LFS has a supplier who can get in little ones but he has a regular demand for larger specimens (he said a lot of people want bigger ones to go in with adult oscars)

I'm quite excited about the tarpon. The only problem is deciding whether to just get one or to order a few more in and have a school of them. I was eventually thinking of doing a 8 foot long, 3ft deep and 3ft wide tank with a jar and a lung but now considering a school of tarpon instead of the jar. Too many options and not enough space :cry:
Be careful about the tarpon. They're very mellow, and learn to hand feed quickly, but they are eating machines. Having a school of 6-7 inchers will result in you going through pellets faster than you ever knew was possible.

On the other hand, if you got a jar and a lung, the jar might wind up harassing and hurting the lung, which of course, will be very expensive...You might be able to keep a lung with a couple of tarpon though. A few big movers and one big bottom feature.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Or, a setup I saw in a public aquarium that I liked a lot was 4 australian lungfish with archerfish and rainbowfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store