Australian lungfish with short right pectoral fin...

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
I picked up an AUL - hadn’t noticed until now that he has what appears to be a developmental anomaly or alternatively an injury when he was young ( he’s not kept with any other fish). Got him around 4-5 inches now he’s 12 inches give or take an inch or 2.

I think it’s become more pronounced as he’s gotten bigger. Do you think he’ll have any significant issues as a result?

Kind of bummed/annoyed that he’s not perfect given he’s a high priced fish.

D47B15A2-CB4E-4AE1-9A3F-BE54490755FA.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I picked up an AUL - hadn’t noticed until now that he has what appears to be a developmental anomaly or alternatively an injury when he was young ( he’s not kept with any other fish). Got him around 4-5 inches now he’s 12 inches give or take an inch or 2.

I think it’s become more pronounced as he’s gotten bigger. Do you think he’ll have any significant issues as a result?

Kind of bummed/annoyed that he’s not perfect given he’s a high priced fish.

View attachment 1412211
I don't see the Lungfish having any significant issues imo.

Reactions: Orthopod and kno4te

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm no lungfish expert but if you haven't spotted any issues by now in all the time you've had it then there probably won't be any that will arise in the future.....unless perhaps if the fish finds itself having to compete for food.
I would be a bit bummed too if the fish were mine.It annoys me when my fish get so much as a torn fin let alone an appendage deformity.

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
Thanks for the replies - just annoyed I guess, some at myself for not noticing until now. He’s in a bottom tank and has been eating a combination of carnivore pellets and spirulina wafers. Noticed other people’s videos of them swimming more freely - he’s kind of a bump on a log and was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

T1015x2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2020
Hao Hao

Reactions: Hao

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Look on the bright side, now when you show him to people...

"What do you a lungfish with one short fin?"
"What?"
"Not even, bro!"

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I find that keeping driftwood with mine does help make them feel more comfortable leading them to be more active I highly doubt that short arm on your has nothing to do with it being less active. Mine started swimming freely more when it hit the 10-12” mark maybe your is just a late bloomer before than mine from 3”-6”-9” clumsy when it swam crashing into things as it land on the bottom of the tank. These lungs don’t do much when small they just lay all day only little action when it feeding time but that about it. Hope you get pass this annoying feeling about the right pectoral thing it still a prize fish to have.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store