Australoheros "RED CEIBAL"

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Red Ceibal Chanchitos are one of the more aggressive varieties...but nothing compared to Central Americans, which will own them. I keep mine in pairs or groups.

They eat anything (Chanchito = "little eater" in Spanish). I feed mine NLS and other pellets + red wigglers.

These guys are neo-tropical, which means that it gets cool in the winters where they're from (Eastern Uruguay). I keep mine on the lowest rack in my basement fishroom, which gets to low 70s in the summer and much cooler (low to mid-60s) in the winter. They need a cool down to re-energize.

Every body of water in Uruguay has a "different" chanchito. I collected the stream that is parallel to Arroyo Ceibal (where the original stock for "Red Ceibal" are from)...and it was quite cool (even at the end of the summer)!

Chanchitos are some of my favorite fish. Give them a try!

Matt

They look great, very interested in keeping this species. How is their temperament and what does their diet consist of?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I keep mine in the pond spring thru fall in Milwaukee, they breed at least twice during that time.

They take temps down into the high 40sF and up into the 90sF.
My experience is exactly the same as dogofwar in keeping them, I keep mine with Gymnogeophagus sp. in the pond and indoors during the winter, without a heater.

In the pond the parents will lead the fry into very shallow, hot water to feed on algae and detritus.

you can see the pock marks where the fry have been grazing.
I will try to bring many to the Milwaukee Aquarium Society auction this fall.

DanG13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
In a van down by the river.
Red Ceibal Chanchitos are one of the more aggressive varieties...but nothing compared to Central Americans, which will own them. I keep mine in pairs or groups.

They eat anything (Chanchito = "little eater" in Spanish). I feed mine NLS and other pellets + red wigglers.

These guys are neo-tropical, which means that it gets cool in the winters where they're from (Eastern Uruguay). I keep mine on the lowest rack in my basement fishroom, which gets to low 70s in the summer and much cooler (low to mid-60s) in the winter. They need a cool down to re-energize.

Every body of water in Uruguay has a "different" chanchito. I collected the stream that is parallel to Arroyo Ceibal (where the original stock for "Red Ceibal" are from)...and it was quite cool (even at the end of the summer)!

Matt
I keep mine in the pond spring thru fall in Milwaukee, they breed at least twice during that time.

They take temps down into the high 40sF and up into the 90sF.
My experience is exactly the same as dogofwar in keeping them, I keep mine with Gymnogeophagus sp. in the pond and indoors during the winter, without a heater.

In the pond the parents will lead the fry into very shallow, hot water to feed on algae and detritus.

you can see the pock marks where the fry have been grazing.
I will try to bring many to the Milwaukee Aquarium Society auction this fall.
As all of my tanks are located in my garage I would have to put one in the house in order to control accurate temps. I will likely try these guys out soon.

Thank you both, Dan

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Depending on where you live, then it would be better to keep these guys in the garage. They can withstand seasonal heat AND cold (just not below, say, 50 or so for extended periods).

I've found that my chanchitos get a lot bigger in captivity than in the wild. Biggest Ceibal-types we caught were maybe 6"... and I've had them up to 8" in tanks (females smaller).

Matt

As all of my tanks are located in my garage I would have to put one in the house in order to control accurate temps. I will likely try these guys out soon.

Thank you both, Dan

fisker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
Germany
Here in Germany they are also called "little Festae" ;)

fisker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
Germany

Matt

Nothing to complete this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store