Auto water change using auto top off + dosing pump?

illumnae

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
Singapore
If I have an auto top off system on my tank connected to a barrel holding rodi water, would it work for me to set up an auto water change system by setting up a 2 head dosing pump and having 1 head drain away 2% of water from the tank daily straight into the drain, and the other head dosing ro remineralizer at the same time that the auto top off will be topping up the water using rodi water?

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I like your idea and it sounds good in theory. The doseing pumps I am familular with are going to take an extremely long time to remove 2 percent from the tank unless you have a 5 gallon aquarium or something likewise tiny? I think you will need a bigger pump to pump water out of the tank is all.

One good thing about a dosing pump is that it is a positive displacement pump so when the pump shuts off I do not believe you will have to worry about a siohon further draining the tank. Where an impeller pump starting a water flow to a drain at a lower level will be starting a siphon that will continue to drain the tank after the pump is shut off.

Is there some sort of high volume dosing pump that will remove gallons of water in several minutes?

I don't use RO water (I am on a well) so I don't have a clear understanding of the remineralizing of the RO water. How much of what do you have to add to a gallon of RO water to keep your tank balanced?

monster1200

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2020
I'm going to use 400 gph submersible pump. The hose is going to be placed at higher level without hard plumbing so hose end will be open to air which will always break the siphon. Easy fix.

Reactions: Oughtsix

illumnae

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
Singapore
There's a Kamoer peristaltic pump that can move 120ml per minute so that's about 20+ gallons a day. Good for 2% water changes up to 1000 gallons. The RO remineralizer requires 1ml per gallon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store