Autodrip Advice

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
The purpose of the 1 micron sediment filter is so that small particles don't clog the pores in the activated carbon filters and render them useless.

You need to do some research into what 5 micron particles would do to the carbon block. I think 1 micron filters were chosen for a reason. I wouldn't just swap them out for a 5 micron filter without first understanding the tolerances of the stuff the carbon block is made out of.

Reactions: monkeybike

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I get your point. Thanks for the clarification.

As I understand it, activated charcoal pores are far smaller than a micron. I see metrics of about 1/40th to 1/500th of a micron.

So if the whole purpose of the pre-filter is to reduce "wasting/clogging" of the carbon pores, would it be better to use smaller filters in the sediment filter than 1 micron?

Last edited:

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Oops... didn't finish editing in time.

Anyway, you're raising some great points. Carbon blocks apparently have different rating values (I found ranges from 0.5 microns to 50 microns.)

So what is the process: the pre-filter should reduce larger items from reaching the carbon block? Is it then, if the carbon block is 50 microns, the pre-filter needs to be no larger than 50 microns? Or does the pre-filter need to be smaller? Of if it's larger, how much larger can it be?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
The carbon filter I am using is by BRS and is suppose to cover both chlorine and chloramines. It seemed to be the best reviewed product I could find except for some insanely priced chloramine filters. It is 1 micron and in the pre-built BRS filters they use the same 1 micron sediment filter I am using. If I was to do anything, I would add a 5 micron sediment filter first, and then the 1 micron.

It will be a bit of an experiment. The cost to add another filter housing is $27 and then the 5 micron filters are about $3 a pop instead of $7. Depending on frequency of change it could work out cheaper. The ultimate goal though is to get the carbon filters to last as long as possible because they are $16 a pop.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-universal-carbon-block-filter-1-micron.html

Reactions: tarheel96

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
It will be a bit of an experiment. The cost to add another filter housing is $27 and then the 5 micron filters are about $3 a pop instead of $7. Depending on frequency of change it could work out cheaper. The ultimate goal though is to get the carbon filters to last as long as possible because they are $16 a pop.
I wonder if this would work for you?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/filter-sheets-20-cm-045-micron-100.html?site_id=1#

or this?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/filter-sheets-40-cm-08-micron-100.html?site_id=5#

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store