Away foods

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
At only 8", I think that having someone feed while you are away for a month would be a very good idea. Just ensure that minimal amounts are being fed until you return.

Reactions: xraycer and andyroo

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Looks familiar- I've been saving the little take-away sauce cups from the local Chinese restaurant. Can't get the predator kibble around here (forgot to order when abroad), though may have some luck with unseasoned freeze-dried prawn - will have a look, thanks. Mix food days with frozen (roach, grub, frog, prawn, sword-tail) and we should be Ok, though she's pretty picky with anything that's not either kicking, flying/falling or sinking.

Reactions: RD.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I just put mine in plastic bags. When I am around, its once a day or once every two days

When I am not around, once every few days

If you are afraid , you can start to do power feeding now till you are about to go on vacation

20191008_211123.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Aro is a ~20cm silver (yes, juvenile). She seems to be growing alright, but it's an office tank & I'm feeling like she's not keeping belly-weight even with every-second-day feeding. Really need to find a better roach/bug supply...

The risk to be minimized was not introducing novel fish (feed) variable. Tank is my 6'x2'x15" 100 that's only been back up&running for a week, but its filtering through a 2gal pond canister that's been running for 3months. Substrate is the 3year old oats sand from the previous set-up of this same tank and has never been dry. BB, MTS, pond snail, tubifex(?), ostracod etc. established, plus plants. I am a little worried that the pump moving water through the filter is a little weak, but I've set a wave-maker for current/motion incl. over the sand. The wave-maker's making a proper racket, though... something's amiss.

And yes, the 100 is being rapidly outgrown. Her 250gal will be ready in Feb.
Your upcoming trip aside, and in regard to your Arowana's current weight, at only 20cm you might consider feeding closer to every day, which is what's most generally recommended for Aros around that size (and up to about 35 cm, then can go every other day (or even longer when older). That said, during your time away I wouldn't have your staff feed every day, maybe just 2 or 3 times a week, then you could resume more frequent feeding if so inclined when back.

If your wavemaker doesn't sound good maybe there's some sand stuck around the propeller?

Reactions: RD. and xraycer

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Thanks Islandguy, and I agree. Second-day has been the as often as possible and the argument to get me into office more often vs new house, field etc. through recent moves, gear & staffing SNAFUs etc. Entrepreneurship sucks...
Putting the boots to fattening her up this week into next. Her getting used to new tank isn't helping.

Might be sand, but I don't think so. I've torn the wavemaker apart, cleaned, greased etc etc a couple of times. Today it gets a vinegar soak in case it's a hard-water t issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store