axolotl eating sand!

HDFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2019
Hey everybody! I recently moved my axolotl to his bigger tank and when I feed him he ingests sand with his bloodworms! is this okay for him? he's about 6 inches long and is still a baby.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everybody! I recently moved my axolotl to his bigger tank and when I feed him he ingests sand with his bloodworms! is this okay for him? he's about 6 inches long and is still a baby.
If it's Pool Filter sand, Play sand or Sand for aquariums the Axolotl will pass it.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
If it's Pool Filter sand, Play sand or Sand for aquariums the Axolotl will pass it.
Agreed, they will ingest sand and pass it no problem as long as it's a fine sand and doesn't contain any gravel. The only way to keep it from eating sand it the have it in a bare bottom tank but I do not suggest doing this as they hate bare bottom tanks. They like having something to grip onto as they walk along the bottom of the tank and they hate slipping a sliding all over the place.

Also if you don't mind me asking what size tank is he in now atm?

Reactions: tlindsey

HDFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2019
Thank you for your responses! The sand is aquarium sand and is very fine. I do not have any gravel in the tank as I know they will die if they eat it. He is in a 20 gallon tall, which I will probably have to upgrade again to a 20 long but for now he is still a baby and grew out of his 10 gallon tank.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thank you for your responses! The sand is aquarium sand and is very fine. I do not have any gravel in the tank as I know they will die if they eat it. He is in a 20 gallon tall, which I will probably have to upgrade again to a 20 long but for now he is still a baby and grew out of his 10 gallon tank.
Yup they definitely love having bottom moving space more then anything. Don't be afraid to go above and beyond with it either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store