Azolla as a shade plant or food??

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I recently heard about a plant called azolla, a floating fern similar to duck weed with seemingly much better benifits. I’ve read that it is high in protein and makes a good food for some fish and livestock. Has anyone tried this stuff out? I want to grow some in my sump or in a container in the back yard until I have enough to place in my smaller tanks. Is it good with nutrient export? How does this plant do with tanks with surface movement since it’s a floating plant?
I’m no green thumb when it comes to aquatic plants, maybe because I don’t fertilize or use CO2.
I would like to use it as a floating plant in the bigger tanks but I have big silver dollars and Uaru that eat anything green that goes into the tank.
Any personal experience can help!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have not heard of it but after some light research this is an interesting plant so I may get some for myself.
As for your silver dollars and uaru, try lucky bamboo if you can find some that are tall enough to reach out of your tank, I do that in my 29.

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
You can always have another tank (or even a plastic bin) with it growing as a backup. It is a fairly fast growing plant, so you can keep putting it in as it overpopulates the bin.

Is it good with nutrient export? How does this plant do with tanks with surface movement since it’s a floating plant?
I’m no green thumb when it comes to aquatic plants, maybe because I don’t fertilize or use CO2.
I would like to use it as a floating plant in the bigger tanks but I have big silver dollars and Uaru that eat anything green that goes into the tank.
Any personal experience can help!
It's a better nutrient export than no Azolla :p.

It does better than Lemna with water movement, but in my experience, it's not a huge fan.

Azolla is pretty easy as far as plants go. It does better with more nutrients in the water.

Last edited:

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I have not heard of it but after some light research this is an interesting plant so I may get some for myself.
As for your silver dollars and uaru, try lucky bamboo if you can find some that are tall enough to reach out of your tank, I do that in my 29.
The tank with the Gardner fish is pretty tall lol. I’ve never seen lucky bamboo that tall!

You can always have another tank (or even a plastic bin) with it growing as a backup. It is a fairly fast growing plant, so you can keep putting it in as it overpopulates the bin.

It's a better nutrient export than no Azolla :p.

It does better than Lemna with water movement, but in my experience, it's not a huge fan.

Azolla is pretty easy as far as plants go. It does better with more nutrients in the water.
I will start it in my sump and possibly a plastic bin as you suggested if I decide I want a lot.
“Better than no azolla” had me cracking up!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
How tall is it? I've seen lucky bamboo that before it curves it's 4 feet. The curving can add like 6 inches. I personally have 3 foot before the curve and around 4-4.5 feet in total. Looking to buy some 3 foot, 4 foot, and 5 foot pieces. The 5 foot pieces will be the hardest. I can give you a link to where you can get some either 3 or 4 foot bamboo. Good prices too, less then $20 for 10 stalks I think.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well I'll be. While doing more research trying to find large lucky bamboo for my needs and I found a new site that sells lucky bamboo upto 48 inches. Not sure if this site is legit as I literally found the site a few seconds ago so use it at your own risk. I'll be doing more research and maybe using it.
https://www.easternleaf.com/Lucky-Bamboo-Individual-Bamboo-Sticks-p/100020-01.htm
Also this site charges $75 for 10 stalks 4 feet long.
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/10...MIpe3j0om83QIVGY7ICh2muwv3EAQYASABEgKgDPD_BwE
The other side I posted charges $15 each.

I'll find another site I saw a while back that charges $25 or so for some 4 foot bamboo.

I found the site, here it is.

http://www.rubtrade.top/trees-c-1_7...o-exclusive-design-by-betterdecor-p-3686.html

This is the thread I asked about the site, turns out I bought from them before for my either 2 foot or 3 foot bamboo.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/anyone-heard-of-this-site.707605/

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Wow that’s awesome! This tank isn’t 4ft tall but I did have a 120 tall that was. I’d have to measure the height again on this one. I’ll havs to check out the taller stocks thanks!

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Always happy to help someone discover the usefulness of lucky bamboo :D.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store