Baby African Arowana Feeding

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Helo all.

Just wondering about African Arowanas. Are they really that hard to feed? It seems a fair few have them here, so I don't think it is that hard, but then a lot of people say it is very hard. Do they need substrate to sift through or is barebottom good enough? And waht would you feed baby africans <3"

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
They are not that hard to feed. You just need enough food for them as their metabolism is very fast because they are hyper active fish. If the feeding slows down the fish will slowly die of starvation.

I feed mine bloodworms when still small. Then at 8"+ I start to feed it with smaller peaces of shrimps or prawn. I sometimes feed mine with crushed pellets as it couldn't take in large items.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Here are a coupla posts I wrote on raising these fish. My 2 incher is now pushing 30":

Young ones don't require live food constantly. They require access to food. I raised them on dense culture crumbles, frozen bloodworms, and daphnia. Leftover foods made up the "constant" part of their feeding regimen. I raised them in bare tanks with sponge filters. The excess leftovers coated the surface of the sponge where the aro grazed until the next feeding. The sponges were cleaned out every other day to remove remaining leftovers before they could spoil.
This was the regimen until the aros reached about 8" and I was confident they'd begun to build sufficient fat reserves to go onto a regular feeding schedule.

The african arowana, Heterotis niloticus, is extremely difficult to keep alive as juvies in aquaria. They basically have to have food constantly available until they hit about 8" and their bodies start holding reserve fat. These are filter feeding fish that can reach 3ft in length.
I kept mine going by keeping it in a bare tank with sponge filters. The sponge filters were beneficial in that they attracted food to their surface which the aro grazed on between feedings. Water chemistry is hard and alkaline with rift lake salts added to the tank. Water changes are every other day and sponge filters each are rinsed off on alternating days to keep spoiled food off the aros grazing areas. The tank receives direct sunlight to 1 side for an hour or 2 a day. The water is pretty green (to match their native waters). Once he hits a foot long, I'll probably move him from the 120 to the 360 and stop the sunlight/algae routine. Young can be kept together for only a short time before they become intolerant of each other and begin fighting. However, I have other small growout species in with my aro and he's never bothered them. These fish are active in all areas of the tank and are always on the move.
Foods consist of frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp plus, daphnia, cyclop-eeze, commercial dense culture crumbles, and mosquito larvae.
This is an awesome species if you can resolve yourself to being extremely busy on their maintenance for the first 6-8 months or so.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
there easy to take care of,bare bottom or sand is fine and i feed my 4" bloodworm,market prawn,pellets,they eat continuesly,my 15" eats like crazy

arowlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2009
under the sea
Eric A;3206748; said:
Helo all.

Just wondering about African Arowanas. Are they really that hard to feed? It seems a fair few have them here, so I don't think it is that hard, but then a lot of people say it is very hard. Do they need substrate to sift through or is barebottom good enough? And waht would you feed baby africans <3"

i have alot of luck with black worms with and with out sand on bottom

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
Ya.. i had problems with these guys too..

I had one died on me due to starvation.... He just stopped eating...

The other one i had.. i made sure he was eating black worms.. so he was able to move onto Blood worms and sinking pellets as well.. it took awhile.. but he finally knows how to eat...

I did keep mine bare bottom.. but now have gravel.. but no gravel does seem to be better than gravel... but then again.. thats just unnatural for the fish.. and if i was to keep it in my other tanks.. which have gravel.. he will never learn how to eat..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store