Baby jags ALL from the same batch of fry and keep FEMALES together for life?!

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
I was just curious about this 1.

If you were to raise a group of JAGS from fry together and slowly weed out the best females, could the group of females live together into adulthood provided no males were EVER present and obviously space requirements were met?

Say you kept the best females around 4 of them, in a completly BARE 300-gallon tank, kept them well fed, super filtered and massive water changes.

Would there be aggression if the tank was bare FROM the start of life (no territories to claim since tank is bare) as little 1-2 inch buggers?

I guess this is not popular because the males are nicer looking fish, but I still dream of a small group of adult JAGS living peacefully

Was thinking the only way it MAY be possible would be to house only females together even though they are not as pretty as males.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
only problem is i have heard of female pairs spawning just not fertilizing the eggs. so there could be a chance with aggro caused by pairing and spawning. i would personally keep the males out of the bunch with no females. 4 males in a 300 throw in some visual breaks, yes it gives them space to claim but it also makes it so they dont have to sit and look at each other all day. this sounds doable to me possibly even 5 of them so long as you have no females and you raise them in this group. dithers like silver dollars would probably aid in the aggro issues, but i see this working well for you.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
thorzep;2945683; said:
i dunno....i once saw a 13" female that was a bi%%#, couldnt keep it with anything......period
was it raised in a community or solo?

joshshilling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2007
tulsa, ok
youtube.com
Pretty much, NO. :)

Females are going to fight amongst themselves, and they will form pairs and one of the females will act like a male. They're never going to be peaceful, they're Jaguars...

Now, if you pack them in there really dense, and provide a bare tank, there will be little aggression. But only compared to the all out war it would be otherwise...

It doesnt really matter if they're raised together or not; the personality may be a little more tolerant if they are raised together, but inherently that fish still wants X square feet of territory, period.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
raising fish together in a community plays a huge part. i dont know where you get your information, but there have been some crazy things pulled off, like keeping an xl dovii in a community, and generally peaceful fish that kill anything you try to put in there tanks when they have been alone there whole life.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
i think there is actually something behind raising fish from tiny fry in a community, and not being so agressive.

while none of my fish are fully grown ATM, none are showing ANY agression at all, not even my flowerhorns. the fish chase each other some, but not one single fish, has a single scale missing. and each and every one of them, minus my big oscar, has been raised from small fry in a comm tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store