Baby peacock bass not doing good

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
My brand new baby peacock bass (one inch ish) is not doing so good he’s on the bottom sideways and I heard they get ich during shipping so I added that with salt and the temp is 78 any tips on his survival?70725391923__93F663C3-9E04-4515-96F2-C716D9EDE21E.jpeg

ruincccc

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
I’ve been there so I’ll share some of my perspective.

1. sounds like your tank is not cycled which can be a big problem. I too were eager to put fish in new tanks and had my sufferings. I’m personally not against a fish-in cycle as long as you know what you are doing, i.e. jump start with some BB product, feed light and up the water change, and most importantly monitor your water parameters.

2. PBs are hard to keep when they are young in my experience. I’ve had them die from bloat, ich, banging into the glass, jumping out, starving for not taking non-live food etc, that I almost gave up.I eventually decided to buy multiples in the beginning, treat with ich medication at first sight of ich, mix pellets with bloodworms, etc, that I finally get to grow 3 Orinocos to 8 inches currently from fingerlings.

so good luck and enjoy the hobby.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
I’ve been there so I’ll share some of my perspective.

1. sounds like your tank is not cycled which can be a big problem. I too were eager to put fish in new tanks and had my sufferings. I’m personally not against a fish-in cycle as long as you know what you are doing, i.e. jump start with some BB product, feed light and up the water change, and most importantly monitor your water parameters.

2. PBs are hard to keep when they are young in my experience. I’ve had them die from bloat, ich, banging into the glass, jumping out, starving for not taking non-live food etc, that I almost gave up.I eventually decided to buy multiples in the beginning, treat with ich medication at first sight of ich, mix pellets with bloodworms, etc, that I finally get to grow 3 Orinocos to 8 inches currently from fingerlings.

so good luck and enjoy the hobby.
It’s not the tank I think he came all messed up and shaky and almost doing the death spins, thanks for the help

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You were given good advice.
The fish could have come already compromised, but the tank is a problem. Being one day old, it is not cycled. Also, the large pebble bottom will be very difficult to maintain clean enough for survival of small fish, and will allow debris, including food not eaten to go out of sight and promote poor conditions.
Going forward (past cycling), 30-40% water changes every two weeks is not going to cut with peacock bass.
Good luck!

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
You were given good advice.
The fish could have come already compromised, but the tank is a problem. Being one day old, it is not cycled. Also, the large pebble bottom will be very difficult to maintain clean enough for survival of small fish, and will allow debris, including food not eaten to go out of sight and promote poor conditions.
Going forward (past cycling), 30-40% water changes every two weeks is not going to cut with peacock bass.
Good luck!
I was gonna cycle the tank a week more but he came early also I said that amount of water change I kinda was just clicking after I figure it out

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Also a different question if I catch a small wild largemouth bass could it survive on non living food and in captivity? Ignore the hook injury stuff

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store