Baby SAL Feeding

FrankFyldja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2019
St. Paul, MN
Hello fellow Lungfish keepers!

I just purchased my first SAL yesterday. It is very tiny at 5” and I was told it’s current diet is frozen bloodworm. I was just curious to know approximately how many bloodworms it can eat at that size! Today I fed it 3.

I will attempt to upload a picture. An Amano shrimp is in there for sizing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

I just purchased my first SAL yesterday. It is very tiny at 5” and I was told it’s current diet is frozen bloodworm. I was just curious to know approximately how many bloodworms it can eat at that size! Today I fed it 3.

View attachment 1384731

View attachment 1384732
Welcome aboardhttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/south-american-lungfish.710286/#post-8011984

Personally never had one but hopes this helps until others chime in

Reactions: Matteus

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

View attachment 1384731

View attachment 1384732

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...s-wanted-new-to-lungfish.689747/#post-7774187

Reactions: Matteus

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
How tall is the tank? I fed mine 2-4 bloodworms about 3 x a day until it got to about 7" total length. Then I started to feed it micro pellets or gel based food about twice a day. I put it into a floating basket within the tank so that it could get up to the top easily for air and I could siphon out the uneaten BW within 1 hour.

Reactions: tlindsey

FrankFyldja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2019
St. Paul, MN
How tall is the tank? I fed mine 2-4 bloodworms about 3 x a day until it got to about 7" total length. Then I started to feed it micro pellets or gel based food about twice a day. I put it into a floating basket within the tank so that it could get up to the top easily for air and I could siphon out the uneaten BW within 1 hour.
Just measured it today (as opposed to eyeball). It is 3” and it is temporarily in a standard 10Gal. A 33Gal long is on standby and then 100gal.

Is it harmful to do feeding one time a day? (I’ve only had it for 3 days now and that’s what I’ve been doing.)

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Just measured it today (as opposed to eyeball). It is 3” and it is temporarily in a standard 10Gal. A 33Gal long is on standby and then 100gal.

Is it harmful to do feeding one time a day? (I’ve only had it for 3 days now and that’s what I’ve been doing.)
I can't say whether it's harmful to only provide one feeding for juvenile (more likely ok). I always feed juveniles as much as they will take.

Reactions: FrankFyldja
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store