Baby sturgeon ID

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not sure if you get them but from Russia come the diamond back surgeon, Acipenser gueldenstaedtii but for the sellers photo to be these they would have to be very young fish.
But does look more like very young Siberian sturgeon.
If your gonna try and keep sturgeon in a tank then your either gonna need a chiller or some serious oxygenation.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
IT could be Siberian sturgeon-acipenser baeri,which is quite common.Sterlet -ACIPENSER RUTHENUS could be another option.
Not sure if you get them but from Russia come the diamond back surgeon, Acipenser gueldenstaedtii but for the sellers photo to be these they would have to be very young fish.
But does look more like very young Siberian sturgeon.
If your gonna try and keep sturgeon in a tank then your either gonna need a chiller or some serious oxygenation.
Ya, once I saw latapy10's species suggestions and looked at juvenile siberian sturgeon photos. I agree that they're more than likely baby siberians. Thanks everyone for the ID help!

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Ya, once I saw latapy10's species suggestions and looked at juvenile siberian sturgeon photos. I agree that they're more than likely baby siberians. Thanks everyone for the ID help!
Don't forget that this type of sturgeon is much more suitable as a pond fish.it could reach 50 cm as his minimum lenght and requires cooler water...

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Yes they are very rare but specimens have been seen in recent years. As for being in an aquarium, captive breeding maybe they only hope they have, their natural environment is all but gone. Captive breeding can save near extinct animals and selling some of the captive bred animals into the aquarium trade can finance the breeding efforts.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Just curious if anyone had any luck finding some of the smaller sturgeon species? Im looking for about 4 for a large pond I am just finishing up in Prescott, Arizona.
You should be very close to the habitat of the shovelnose sturgeon, they average less than 24" in the wild but isolated specimens can reach 30+ inches.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store