Baby tire track eel

mgs3

Feeder Fish
Sep 4, 2019
hello all, please be gentle as i have only been into keeping fish for a year and a half now, but I accept any criticism along with welcoming it!

about a month ago I acquired my baby two-inch tire track eel, its absolutely tiny and I can't help but worry about it. My fellow fish keepers say its doing alright but its a small group, I'm going to ask some questions here in hopes of clearing stuff up. thanks !

First of all, I worry about his breathing, its not labored, forced or weak. but it is quite fast, like a rabbit breathing, i've heard someone say this is normal but that was only from one person. He eats well, interacts well and is aware.

Secondly Im not sure about his feeding schedule, he got slightly bloated a few days ago, hes fine now but is it better to do every other day or some days straight and then an off-feed day.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Eels can have rapid breathing when smaller. Just due to stress. It’ll settle down. Provide plants and decor so it can hide. Some of the food can cause food to back up and cause the bloating. Not to worry feeding every other day is fine. I’d suggest soaking the food in some seachem vitachem. This helps to provide extra nutrients when small.

Reactions: mgs3

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
He is so small breathing may seen a little fast, but that is normal.
As far as feeding, I would feed him at least once a day, but cut back on amount. I think twice a day would be better.
If he is that tiny, he may require being fed more often, since he has a long way to go to reach 24" plus or minus.
Just my thoughts.
Post a picture if you can. :cheers:

Reactions: mgs3
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store